Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My macro journey

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: My macro journey

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:20 am

Okay, I did a lot of further searching. This is a "Spotted Orbweaver" and they will bite in Self Defense if you mess with them. But, the information states that their "venom" is not dangerous to Humans. It didn't say if the bite was painful, but they are good sized boogers.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:55 am

I'm guessing Wolf spider, 🤔
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:02 am

Looks similar to this guy.

_DAB4287-SharpenAI-Motion-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:45 pm

The Pup wanted to go today, and I let her use the flash, so I had to shoot everything available light. That was a learning experience, and felt very confining. I do have a better appreciation for the benefit of available light in some subjects.

This one would have been totally different and not as good, IMO, with flash. I love the bokeh (circular highlights in the background) and the backlighting in the rose, as well as the color contrasts.

_DAB5485-topaz-sharpen.jpg

This little guy surprised me by landing on the back of my hand while trying to photograph another dragonfly.

_DAB5542-topaz-sharpen.jpg

Had to settle for mostly plants and flowers without the flash. I focus stacked this one to get all the subject material in focus.

flwr-topaz-sharpen-2.jpg

This one is to get ready for Halloween.

_DAB5553-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:52 pm

drop-topaz-sharpen.jpg
_DAB5625-topaz-sharpen.jpg
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:26 pm

Wow. Love the reflecting spectrum of color that's glowing in the dew drops hanging from the flower petal. Fabulous.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:52 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:26 pm
Wow. Love the reflecting spectrum of color that's glowing in the dew drops hanging from the flower petal. Fabulous.
My thoughts exactly!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:47 pm

The drop of water acts like a fisheye lens, giving a curved view of what's behind it. Upside down. In this case it's more flowers on stalks.

You can see what it is better in this image. I couldn't seem to get the color right in this one, although I like the image in the drop better in it.

_DAB5648-topaz-sharpen-2.jpg

I even tried this trick. Interesting, but didn't work for me or the Pup.

_DAB5648-topaz-sharpen-3.jpg
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:01 pm

clovishound wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:47 pm

I even tried this trick. Interesting, but didn't work for me or the Pup.
I agree with you and your daughter. The full color image is exquisite. That "snow globe" of water in that photo is outstanding. The B&W image... not so much.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:30 pm

The Pup and I decided to take advantage of the cooler weather and sneak out and take some pictures before my wife comes home from rehab next week. After she gets home we probably won't be able to go out together for a while.

Since they mowed the wildflower field at Cypress last week, we decided to go to Magnolia. There were fewer insects than earlier in the year due to cooler weather. It was in the upper 40s this morning, but lots of bee activity.

I really like this one. The bee was sleeping on the flower and was still covered with dew. A little oversaturated, but trying to dial it down resulted in the orangey shadows looking really weird. I may work on that later and try and improve it.

_DAB5835-topaz-sharpen.jpg

I would like to try this one again, but position the camera so that the entire background is black. This is actually 6 individual images stacked together to get the entire stamen in focus.

flower-topaz-sharpen.jpg

I love the soft texture of the bee in this one. Had issues with the pedals of the flower being blown out. I was able to bring the levels down, but still not entirely happy with the result. That's the problem with very light colored background and a very dark subject. I actually nailed the exposure pretty much in the middle, or it would have been a round file image.

_DAB5862-topaz-sharpen.jpg

Not a macro, but I like it so I thought I'd post it here, since it was taken along with all the other macro shots.

_DAB5871-topaz-sharpen-2.jpg

FYI, if you want to view any of these images in a larger format, just right click on the image and choose "open image in new tab". A new tab will open and you can view it in a much larger format. Many of my images look much better larger, rather than the small sizes the forum posts.
2 x