Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My macro journey

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

My macro journey

Post by clovishound » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:36 pm

I've posted a few macro (close up) photos lately. I'm hoping to learn and grow at this particular niche of photography. Hopefully, it won't be a flash in the pan. I've had those before.

Went out this weekend and shot some macro images. Had a couple of cooperative models. I had high hopes for the dragonfly that let me get up in his face, but it was the anole that was the star.

_DAB2831-SharpenAI-Focus.jpg

_DAB2915-SharpenAI-Focus-2.jpg

And then there was this little damsel fly.

_DAB2843-SharpenAI-Focus.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by clovishound on Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: My macro journey

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:50 pm

lookn' like you're the star!
More great pics!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:51 pm

The bad news is I want my own macro lens. I've been co-opting the Pup's macro. I really want the new 105 Z mount. It's a little pricey, but reviews say it blows the competition away. Of course, sometimes reviews of something new exaggerate somewhat. I'm afraid of spending a bunch of $ on a new lens, and then the interest fades.

Decisions, decisions. I think I'll just get by borrowing her lens for now, and see how I feel in a couple months. This won't be a problem until the weather cools off and the Pup starts going with me on photo shoots again. I don't want to step on her territory by hogging the macro lens.

_DAB2865-SharpenAI-Focus.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:13 pm

Love the pics. I have no talent with cameras but would love to be able to use a macro. I have had a microscope since pre-teen, not a good one but enjoy seeing things from that perspective. Being able to go beyond looking to SEEING. Good job.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:37 pm

Well, my macro journey hit a big bump in the road. While I was using the Pup's macro lens, it died. Too expensive to have fixed, new ones no longer available. She finally opted for a new Sigma 105mm F2.8 macro. Decided I won't be using it.

After spending the $$$ on her replacement, I really can't justify the cost of the Z mount 105mm Nikon I want. I decided on a cheap set of extension tubes for my 24-70 lens, and they came in today. Tried them out and am happy with the results. Main issue so far is working distance is very tight. The front element of the lens is only a few inches from the subject. Sharpness seems good, and light reduction is acceptable.

Here are a few test shots in the yard. These were quick, check it out shots, so don't be too critical. The second image was of some very, very small critters, and it was cropped a decent amount, but not severely.

_DAB2977.jpg

_DAB2992.jpg

I think I can make this work until I can justify the expense of the lens I want.
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:34 am

clovishound wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:37 pm
I think I can make this work...
These "test" shots are a great start. I look forward to seeing more. Thanks for sharing them with us.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:52 pm

I had extension tubes for my old Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL. How do they work with an auto focus camera? I remember you had to get the focus close by moving the camera closer or further away from the subject and then fine tune with the focus ring.

Took a lot of photos with that old camera, it was very basic. Had a build in light meter but that was it. My 70D's complete manual is almost 500 pages long.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:26 pm

These tubes have connections between the lens and the camera, so AF works, as well as aperture control (which is actually more important). When taking close up shots, like the ones above, AF is generally not the best way to go. The least little movement between subject and camera causes the AF to chatter, and it's very difficult to get things rock solid with most subjects. Most folks just prefocus and do the old move the camera back and forth trick. The new technique on the block is focus peaking. (That's peaking, not peeking!) This is where the camera displays items in focus with a different color, you can choose from several colors in the menu. I'm not sure, but I think it's only, or perhaps mainly used on mirrorless cameras, since they have electronic viewfinders. Having to switch to live view on a DSLR for this would be a pain IMO.

My first camera was a hand me down Argus C-4 rangefinder camera. It didn't even have a built in light meter. It was handheld, or guess. I had a small handheld meter, but got pretty good at guessing after a while.

I know what you mean about a huge manual. After a year and a half, I'm still learning interesting features on my Z5. Focus peaking being the latest.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:32 pm

Here's one more of the aphid farm with the flash off to the side.

_DAB3052-2.jpg
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:40 pm

Someone had a bad day today.

_DAB3188.jpg

And something a little artsy.

_DAB3222-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg
1 x