Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Spiders, flies and flowers

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Spiders, flies and flowers

Post by clovishound » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:28 am

What is the new camera body, if you don't mind me asking? Or, are you talking about possibly buying a new body?

Nikon is pretty good about lens compatibility. Unfortunately, you sometimes lose some functions. I can actually use a 70s era Nikon F mount lens on my new Z5. It requires an adapter, which I have, and would need to be used completely manually, just like we did in the 70s, but it will mount and work. What lenses do you have from the old D40?
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:38 pm

I have a D700 Body I bought several years ago from a member one of the two forums WE both belong to. My memory issues keep me from remembering who it was, but I was told I got a very fair price. I recently (in the last year) had a professional photographer check out the camera with HIS high end (Thousands of dollars each) lenses and the body is fine. He actually teaches a class at the local college on photography which I considered taking for the fun of it and to learn to use the camera, but health issues prevented it.

Lenses? I have the Nikon DX 28mm standard lens and the Nikon 55 to 200 zoom that came with the D40 kit we bought Many years ago for the camera we bought to use with the charity. "I" killed the camera on a fly fishing trip and in fact wrote a very humorous story about it that ran in the local paper (Throwaway job) but it was a favorite of the readers. I posted the story HERE on the forum a bit later and it did well here too. I might dig it up and post it again if there is an interest.

A couple problems that crop up with the D700... I'll shoot a picture, and then when I go to fire the shutter again, nothing happens. There are eleventeen hundred settings on the camera and I have NO clue if it's set up wrong or what's going on.... but it takes great pictures when it's working. I can take the lens off and put it back on and it's taking pictures again. I likely need to take a class and learn the camera AND buy at least a basic 28mm lens and a decent zoom if I decide to take real photos again. But my dang phone takes pretty good pics. ;)

The D700

nikon d700.jpg

The Zoom

nikon zoom.jpg

Since we spent a lot of time in the kayaks for the kayak fishing charity.... I added a nice pelican case...

nikon case.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:43 pm

One issue I see is that you are looking at a 12 MP full frame sensor. The lenses you have are DX, ie made for half frame sensors. If the D700 does like most Nikons do these days, they automatically go into DX mode when you mount a DX lens on it. IE you are only using half the sensor. I personally wouldn't purchase any full frame lenses for it, unless you plan on upgrading to a full frame body down the road. If you are interested in getting things going again with photography, you might consider getting a DX camera to match up with the lenses you currently have. The newer DX bodies are 24 MP and should deliver noticeably more resolution than the D700, even with a full frame FX lens. You could probably pick up a nice used DX body for not a whole lot, with a little luck. Sticking with the newer 24 MP sensor models would be a good thing IMO. I have a D3400, a bottom of the heap entry level DSLR. The image quality of my new full frame Z5 is only slightly better. The Z5 has lots of great features, and is more robustly built, but the image quality is nearly identical, excepting low light performance.

The only thing I could suggest on the issue you are having with the D700 is to remove the battery, then hold the shutter button down for about 15 seconds. A system reset probably would be in order as well. Beyond that, it's likely a hardware problem.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:28 pm

I have a Canon 70D which is a crop sensor camera. I got a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens to go with it and although its takes very good photos, every once and a while a photo will have very soft focus. Sent it in to Tamron to have it checked and they said everything was good. Saw a Tony Northrup video and he said a lens made for a full frame camera can sometimes be iffy on a crop sensor camera. Still use it but I shot some photos at a friends wedding with it, most were fine but some I took in the shade were pretty soft so I don't use it for photos I can't re-create. The kit lenses that came with it are OK just don't have the range of the Tamron

If I was starting over today I would get one of the mirrorless CanonR's (I'm sure Nikon has something similar). Full frame bodies start at around $1500, probably get a decent RF lens and then save up for their RF28-70mm F2 L USM ($2900).

As it is and at my age I just don't use my camera enough to justify that kind of money. I find I mostly just use my phone camera anymore, it takes decent photos, plenty good enough for posting online and is a lot more convenient.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:59 pm

I am surprised at the statement that full frame lenses can be iffy on crop sensor cameras. Usually full frame lenses are sharper on crop sensor cameras, because the camera only uses the center of the image, which is always the sharpest. My daughter uses a couple full frame lenses on her crop sensor camera, and consistently gets good results. The ones you took in shade might have suffered from motion blur because lower light levels resulted in low shutter speeds.

I've been very happy with my mirrorless. Most of the major manufacturers are no longer developing new DSLR cameras. The focus is completely on mirrorless. There are many advantages.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:00 pm

I tend to agree that for routine pictures the pictures from the camera phones are getting better and better as we go. I can take macro, panaramic shots, video and some very basic zoom shots. I have always tried to keep a decent "REAL" camera around, especially when we had the Charity so we could post HI-Rez shots of the events, but I just can't see spending the money these days.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:28 pm

Here's the video about using full frame lenses on a crop body, long and technical. Tony Northrup has been around for quite a while now and has a huge number of good photography videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8-vfiq33R4

https://www.youtube.com/@TonyAndChelsea/videos
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:55 pm

I have watched many videos by Tony and his wife.

I am very surprised by this video. The conventional wisdom I have always heard and read was that Full Frame lenses perform better on a Crop Frame camera than a comparable CF lens. The main reason I got FF lenses for the Pup was because I was thinking she may switch to a FF camera at some point in the future, and didn't want to buy the lenses twice. The 70-300 FF lens I got to replace her 70-300 kit lens is noticeably sharper than the kit lens when used on her CF camera. It also has image stabilization and a much more robust build.

Thanks for posting this, I may have to do some research.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:14 pm

Got a couple more macro shots this morning.

_DAB2126-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg
Played around with my new flash. I have a lot to learn to make this thing do what I want. The bee isn't real sharp, but I still kind of like the sense of motion effect it gives.

_DAB2159.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:56 pm

I love the dragon fly. Like the bee as well, is that Lamb's Ear?
0 x