Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The elusive wood duck

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: The elusive wood duck

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:54 pm

Fantastic Pictures, the colors are so vibrant.

I used to love our favorite pond in VA covered in that duckweed. The bass would get ANGRY when we pulled Ribbet Frogs across the topwater and explode violently out of the water onto them. Big Flies with the fly rod like pond mice or hoppers would have the same effect. I miss it.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:33 am

They are trying to get rid of the alligator weed at the Audubon Swamp. Apparently, it discourages a lot of waterfowl. They recently dredged the smaller, shallower portions of the swamp (it's an old rice field). This cleared the alligator weed that was choking the water's surface with a thick mat. This is supposed to encourage more waterfowl to use the swamp. The large pond where these pics were taken is still pretty choked up with duckweed, but this, apparently, isn't the issue that alligator weed is. That stuff is thick enough that plants will start to take root and grow on the mat of alligator weed and leaf detritus that accumulates on the surface of the water.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:07 pm

Well, not a wood duck, but this teal let me get closer than the wood ducks.
_DAB7047-gigapixel-art-scale-1_00x.jpg
It was a beautiful day at the Swamp. Cold and a thick mist over the water. The picture does not convey the sense of wispy softness. It was worth getting up early and driving over half an hour just to see it.
_DAB6869-4.jpg
And yes there were wood ducks.
_DAB6920-gigapixel-art-scale-2_00x-cropped.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:19 pm

Excellent photography, CH. It deserves copyright protection. Thanks for sharing it with us.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:01 pm

Well, I don't worry too much about it when I post here, but I recently joined a FB group for photographers at the Audubon Swamp. When you post a picture on a FB page, FB can use it. FB claims it's just a convenience to how they post pages, but if you read the TOS it gives them the right to use your photo. I've not heard of any egregious behavior yet, but I decided to start watermarking anything I post on it. It's easier to just watermark all of the JPEGs I save, than to watermark some, and not others. Actually, all of my files have my name embedded as the copyright holder. Adding a watermark just puts a visible additional layer on it. I probably should switch to a more sophisticated watermark. FYI, you can load an add-on to your browser that will allow you to view the EXIF data of a posted photo. This will give info about the copyright holder, dates, camera and lens info, exposure data and so forth. I've even seen focus distance on some photos. It works great, except for photos posted on FB. It looks like they strip the data from the files, although to be fair, the copyright holder data is still there.

I don't sell any of my photos right now, but that could change in the future. The Pup is thinking about selling hers, and I may include some of my better stuff in with hers to broaden the selection. Not sure how well any of my stuff would sell next to hers, but I do have a different sphere of interest than her, although there is some overlap.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:24 pm

Looks like there are more wood ducks in the pipeline.

And for the superstitious, there is one little quacker out of frame. :roll:

_DAB0010-DeNoiseAI-clear-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:47 am

^^^^^^^^^^^
:D
Gotta love a family picture.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:24 pm

Well, I put on ly new snake boots and headed back over to the swamp. There was a family of wood ducks that didn't seems as skittish as usual. Unfortunately, none were males in their breeding plumage. Also, there was too much foliage in the way, and I couldn't get a good clear shot.

_DAB0581-DeNoiseAI-low-light-2.jpg
_DAB0601-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg
Got my first look at a whistling duck.

_DAB0787-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
3 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:45 am

That first pic with the ducks peeking thru the brush works very well. I think even tho it’s not a clear shot of the ducks themselves it is a wonderful picture. I like it!
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:22 am

I got several nice, close up, clear shot of one of the ducks. Unfortunately, they were all with the duck facing away from me. I was hoping she would turn around, but no such luck. At least the whistling duck, and an ibis were very cooperative.

Here's another from the same series.

_DAB0578-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg
1 x