Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Magnolia Plantation and Gardens

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Magnolia Plantation and Gardens

Post by clovishound » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:28 pm

The Pup and I renewed our annual membership to Magnolia and yesterday made our first photography outing there this year. Thought I'd post a few since they didn't really fit any other threads I have going.

Wasn't my best outing from a results standpoint. Too early in the year for insects to be out in any numbers, so I had to dust off my bird photography skills. I'm a little rusty.

I spent a long time squatting down looking through the viewfinder waiting for this guy to swoop down and pick up some lunch. As soon as I got distracted by a wading bird, he made his move. Only got one shot in the air, and it wasn't anything to write home about.
_DAB8538-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
Here he is eating his well earned catch.
_DAB8562-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
A decent picture of an egret, hunting, but nothing special.
_DAB8554-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
These turtles are either very brave, or very stupid.
_DAB8464-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
And finally, my attempt at something artsy.
_DAB8483-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen-7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Magnolia Plantation and Gardens

Post by clovishound » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:26 pm

Another outing today. Cloud cover was a mixed blessing for light quality, mostly good news, but there wasn't the expected activity at rookery.

The big issue was there didn't seem to be the constant ferrying of food to the little ones. The little guy in the nest was pretty insistent, but all mom could do was cover him from the chilly wind, and make small adjustments to the nest.

_DAB9226-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
This little blue heron spent a lot of time fishing near the berm, and didn't seem too worried about the crazy photographers trying to shoot him.

_DAB9293-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
This is my favorite one, so far. I've got lots more to edit. I normally mark a handful of the "edit me first" images after a quick preview of all shots I take in a session. This was the best of those. Of course, sometimes one of the less impressive on first glance turn out to be one of the best after some editing. Anyway, I'm trying to shoot more available light macro shots, when it is appropriate. This one had a "mood" with available light, that disappeared when using flash.

_DAB9355-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 pm

"Missed it by THAT much!"

I was at Magnolia this morning and there was a nice moon still visible. I had set up and was experimenting with some different autofocus settings for Birds In Flight. I heard a flock of geese coming and tried quickly setting up an image I had in mind. I put the moon in frame and in no time the geese were coming through the frame. I fired off a handful of images, and excitedly looked to see what I had.

The camera had locked focus on the moon, and the geese were, well, fuzzy. If my camera had been in my normal Bird In Flight autofocus settings, I probably would have gotten the shot.

_DAB9515.jpg
I did get one shot with the flock in focus, but there were some branches in the way. I decided to try my hand at pasting the moon from one image onto the one with the in focus geese. I also replaced the sky to get rid of the branches. One of the geese has an unnatural look due to being directly behind a largish branch. I cleaned it up as best I could, given my limited skill with Photoshop. This was simply an exercise in seeing what the envisioned shot might have looked somewhat like, if everything had gone right.
geese-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
I did grab a couple shots of the two eagles that were hanging around. Not the greatest, but it was good to see these magnificent birds doing well.
_DAB9617-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen-2.jpg
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 pm

Sorry for posting just a bit late, but, hey, I'd write home about any pf those photos. Some are downright spectacular. Love that Red-shouldered hawk. They are pretty rare up here in the north woods of Wisconsin, but can be found in limited numbers in the central Wisconsin hardwood forests. No Little Blue heron up here, though I have one of those on my life list when I lived in Nebraska, though it is still a very rare bird there.

Anyway, keep the photos coming. I really appreciate them, partly because I know how tough it is to get good bird shots and partly because they are just plain beautiful.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:34 pm

Thanks. I do appreciate the comments I get here. Ego fuels a lot of photographers. I wouldn't know about that, though. :)

Here are a couple more from today, including another little blue heron. They are not uncommon around here.

_DAB9452-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg

Here are a couple snowy egrets. I really like the early morning light. I don't like getting up at 5:00 to take advantage of it, though.

_DAB9475-topaz-denoiseraw.jpg
_DAB9502-topaz-denoiseraw.jpg

There were a pair of cardinals feeding on the edge of the swamp. They let me get reasonably close, but they are rather small birds, so I couldn't fill the frame as much as I would have liked. Light was rather dim, so I had to shoot at a rather high ISO, so they were noisy. Topaz fixed that, but resolution suffers at high ISOs.

_DAB9576-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:54 pm

Love the patchwork of colors! Really shows Mother Nature at her best. That Cardinal and Blue heron are magnificent.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:37 am

I figured out a way to make the geese image into something a lot closer to what I should have gotten. Full disclosure, I placed the geese exactly where I wanted them, vs where they would have naturally been in relation to the moon. I also moved one of the geese to fill the gap created by the goose that was partially obscured by a branch. I really need to learn how to use Photoshop for more than just a few things, although I don't think I want to go down the rabbit hole of wholesale merging images, replacing major elements etc.
geeses-2.jpg
Last edited by clovishound on Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:51 am

Photoshop is your friend! You did a nice job on this one.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:12 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:51 am
Photoshop is your friend! You did a nice job on this one.
I use Lightroom to edit all my images worth editing, and lots that aren't worth editing. Photoshop comes as a package deal with Lightroom these days, so I have it. I use it for operations that Lightroom won't do, like focus stacking. For some reason, I find myself intimidated by Photoshop. I have gotten very comfortable with Lightroom, but many of the tools in PS just aren't very intuitive IMO.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:57 pm

Had a good morning at Magnolia today.

The gators were out in force.

_DAB0333-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg

This begs the question "why did the gator cross the road?".

_DAB0346-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg

GBH let me get rather close.

_DAB0378-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
The insects are returning.
And they're MAD!

_DAB0615-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen-2.jpg
2 x