Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Golden Boy 1st kill!

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Golden Boy 1st kill!

Post by Squatch » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:29 pm

Sir Henry wrote:Wish I had a ground hog problem.
No you don't. They are destructive little buggers. I have a huge wrap around porch. it took me years to get it sealed off from their digging under it. I have a friend who's Father in Law had a porch collapse in a rain storm because they had done so much mining under it. Every time there are more than a few of them around they start looking for a low, protected place to burrow. Under sheds, porches, garages. It's a constant PIA.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:36 pm

Got 4 more tonight and haven't dented the population just in my backyard. Just crazy! When I shot the last one of the evening there were 5 others in the yard at the same time. I saw at least 3 or 4 litters it seems today. I have eliminated one of these so far.
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:58 pm

When you get all those, come on to my place. I have several that are just tearing my place apart and I can't seem to catch up to them.
0 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:10 am

Get them all, or as many as you can. You are right, they are very destructive. Glad to hear the goldenboy is doing a good job.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Steve
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Steve » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:36 am

A friend of mine probably 15 years ago thought he shot his toes off when bushwhacking a ground hog in his garden.

He was setting in a recliner on the porch waiting for the ground hog to show himself. When the ground hog did stick its head up Bob took careful aim and touched off the 243. He got the groundhog but had tremendous pain in his foot. The muzzle was so close to his toes that the muzzle blast instantly melted the nylon sock. He was a while getting those burns healed up. RIP Bob. miss hearing about the things you did.
2 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:31 pm

I try to leave the Lazy-Boy in the house.

I now have competition. This is Ginger. She lives next door. When she is laying in this spot she is hunting groundhogs.

She is the groundhog huntingest machine I have ever seen! She doesn't just hunt and kill them she eats them too. She wastes nothing. We have vids of her cracking skulls with her teeth to get to the tasty stuff. When she gets one the next day you might find a stray bone or tuft of hair. I think she killed 6 last summer that we know of.

She is very patient. She sits in that spot on the hill for hours and just waits until she knows she can run and get between them and escape into the woods. Then she is off like a shot. She gets between them and the woods the starts barking and lunging. This is to get them lined up for a neck strike. 2 good shakes and it's dinner time. She hasn't been over much lately but must have heard me shooting. Dinner bell. She is getting old. But when she was young she was the fastest running dog I have ever seen. We think she is about 1/2 greyhound. Best woods dog I have ever known bar none.
3 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:40 pm

I hope between the two of you, the groundhogs give up and go somewhere else.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:02 pm

Thanks for sharing the story.

And Welcome to the Forum from the Show-Me-State.

Steve wrote:A friend of mine probably 15 years ago thought he shot his toes off when bushwhacking a ground hog in his garden.

He was setting in a recliner on the porch waiting for the ground hog to show himself. When the ground hog did stick its head up Bob took careful aim and touched off the 243. He got the groundhog but had tremendous pain in his foot. The muzzle was so close to his toes that the muzzle blast instantly melted the nylon sock. He was a while getting those burns healed up. RIP Bob. miss hearing about the things you did.
0 x

~Пока~

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:43 pm

daytime dave wrote:I hope between the two of you, the groundhogs give up and go somewhere else.
Didn't even see one today. I think we have made them skittish. Wiping out your off spring will do that!
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:21 pm

Came home from the grocery today and Ginger was strutting around showing off her latest groundhog! It was a big one. Before I could get the camera she had carried it off and stashed it for a while.

I've gotten a couple of more as well. Still way too many left.
0 x