Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Try for a turkey today

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Try for a turkey today

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:21 am

I rolled out at 4:00 this morning. I hate this roll back the time thing. My wife gets up at 4 every morning so I will have to get on her schedule. Some days she has to get up at 3 for the hour earlier shift. I won't be getting up at 3 AM. Read some new posts on this forum and some other forums so that is taken care of. Now I am waiting on our fellow member Swigs to get here and then we will head out to a very good turkey spot where I always hunt turkeys several times a year. He has nearly a two hour drive to get here. I hope he has the chance to get a shot at a turkey more so than me. I have every day to go and he has to work so I wish him to be the lucky hunter on this day. I never scored on a turkey last season but never really spent much time trying. First year not taking a turkey with Dads Sako 222 in probably almost 20 years of hunting with it. Dad gave it to me when his eyes got bad enough he didn't trust himself to see other hunters that maybe would be in danger if he fired at something and didn't know there was a hunter in his line of fire. Season for my hunting area is from Nov. 2- Nov.22 and then back in for the 28 and 29th of this month. Used to have the Thanksgiving day to hunt turkey also and I really enjoyed that hunt on the holiday and then quitting early and going home to be with the family for a fun day and a great meal together. Don't know why they stopped it as it is not like Thanksgiving is on Sunday. At least I can still use my 222 in the fall season until some one at the game commission decides to change that law. So I am hoping for a good hunt for Swigs and a safe day in the woods and a safe trip home for him this evening.
4 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Try for a turkey today

Post by Vaquero » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:25 am

Good luck to you both.
Around here we are only allowed shotguns, no rifles.
Or, you can go the stick and string avenue. :o :lol:

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:30 am

hope you both build some great memories .... shotgun only for Turkey hunting in our area
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:59 am

Good Luck Bandit. Triple Duece brings back memories. Had one in a Remington 700BDL back when Remington still built good rifles. Should have kept it but sold it for something else. Very accurate round and easy to load for. Hope you guys see some turkeys. See them all the time on the bike path in the summer out here.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:03 pm

How did it go?
bandit1250 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:21 am
... So I am hoping for a good hunt for Swigs and a safe day in the woods and a safe trip home for him this evening.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:08 pm

Sounds like the two of you are continuing a great tradition and not at all surprised you are putting your friend, first. Best of luck to you both.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:21 am

Mags wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:03 pm
How did it go?
bandit1250 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:21 am
... So I am hoping for a good hunt for Swigs and a safe day in the woods and a safe trip home for him this evening.
It was a beautiful day to be in the woods. We didn't see any turkeys and the place we hunted is not really great for squirrels. It is usually a good place for the turkeys to pass through by around 8 AM and then again around 3-4 in the afternoon on their way back. We left the area around 9 AM and drove to another area and the squirrels were out on the roads running around. So Swigs got his 17 Mach 2 CZ out and I put the 222 Sako away and got the 870 out and we went in the woods and I saw 4 squirrels heading to another zip code in a hurry. I got a shot at one in a really thick area and didn't get that one and then got a shot at another and that was the only other squirrel I shot at. I did get that one. Not counting the ones along the road I saw about 12 for the day and Swigs may have only seen a few. The afternoon all that I saw were busy on the ground far out of shotgun range but I would have never got a still shot even with the 222 Remington. The fun part of the day with Swigs was the amount of deer activity in the morning with the bucks trying to run the does. The does didn't want any part of the bucks. One nice sized 5 point almost ran right under the deer tower and Swigs said there must be a dominant buck close by. Then we saw him for a split second but enough to see he is a very nice one. We saw several bucks moving about in the woods at the end of the shooting lanes. I am not much on deer hunting but it was nice to see there is a few in the place I usually hunt when I decide to go. We had lunch at a little gas station/diner and talked guns and cars and just our normal telling stories. May wife had squirrel gravy ready for supper when we got home and Swigs ate with us before heading home. He said the squirrel gravy was the best he had ate. Hope to have more when he makes it down maybe next week for another hunt which he may stay for two days of hunting. Swigs is a fun guy to be with and I met him through this forum.
5 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:48 am

Proves you don't have to bring home a load of game to have a great hunt. Congrats to you both.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:37 pm

Great to read you guys had a good time!
bandit1250 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:21 am
... he makes it down maybe next week for another hunt which he may stay for two days of hunting. Swigs is a fun guy to be with and I met him through this forum.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:43 pm

Glad you had a good time Bandit thats what its all about
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55