Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Turkey time is coming!

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Turkey time is coming!

Post by Redthies » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:17 am

When do your seasons open? Ours is still a month away, but I bbq’d the breasts from my fall bird last night. Rubbed it with olive oil and ponzu, a little garlic, ginger, salt and pepper. It was by far the tastiest game bird I’ve ever eaten! I’ve heard people say they don’t enjoy wild turkey, but if mine continue to be this good, I’ll be a very happy guy!
3 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Turkey time is coming!

Post by JEBar » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:32 am

ponzu .. :?: .. had to look that one up .... thanks for introducing me to a new word

Spring season in North Carolina === Youth Season (Male or Bearded Turkey Only), Apr. 6 – 12, 2019 === Statewide Spring Season (Male or Bearded Turkey Only), Apr. 13 – May 11, 2019

http://www.eregulations.com/northcaroli ... gulations/
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:59 am

Here in TN we have a young sportsman hunt the 24-25th.
Regular season starts the following Sat, the 31st, and runs through May 13th.
One bearded bird per day, and a total of 4 birds.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:42 pm

CT Spring Turkey season starts April 24th and lasts through May 25th. It is limited to two Bearded Birds on State Land and three Bearded Birds on Private Land. In addition to a Firearms Hunting License, a Resident Game Bird Conservation Stamp ($28) is also required.

This something I'd really like to do, but... my lower spine says, "NO". I have a Firearms Hunting License, but I can't walk far enough into a woods or across a field without extreme pain, so unless there's some miracle cure of some kind, it's not likely. It would be my only good reason to buy a Henry Single Shot 20 gauge Shotgun. Sadly, I came to this shooting sport a little late. ;)
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:47 pm

Here are the spring schedules and regs in MO.

MO Spring Turkey Season: Apr 15, 2019 to May 05, 2019
One-half hour before sunrise to 1 p.m.

MO Spring Turkey Season (Youth, Ages 6-15): Apr 06, 2019 to Apr 07, 2019
One-half hour before sunrise to sunset
Notes:
Youth hunters who are age 6-15 on opening day may hunt.
Youth may also hunt during the regular Spring Turkey season.

Quite a number of regs about Allowed & Prohibited Methods; Limits; Permits; etc.
They do make for a fine "study hour!" ;)
https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/hunting-tra ... sons-hours
0 x

~Пока~

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:15 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:CT Spring Turkey season starts April 24th and lasts through May 25th. It is limited to two Bearded Birds on State Land and three Bearded Birds on Private Land. In addition to a Firearms Hunting License, a Resident Game Bird Conservation Stamp ($28) is also required.

This something I'd really like to do, but... my lower spine says, "NO". I have a Firearms Hunting License, but I can't walk far enough into a woods or across a field without extreme pain, so unless there's some miracle cure of some kind, it's not likely. It would be my only good reason to buy a Henry Single Shot 20 gauge Shotgun. Sadly, I came to this shooting sport a little late. ;)
I don't know about the rest of the country CT, but here in Florida success rates for turkey are EXTREMELY LOW. I would guess in their lifetime, most "Florida turkey hunters" never even see a tom. I guess I'm sayin you're not missing much :lol:
Last edited by Henry88 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:02 pm

Henry88 wrote:I don't know about the rest of the country CT, but here in Florida success rates for turkey are EXTREMELY LOW. I would guess in their lifetime, most "turkey hunters" never even see a tom. I guess I'm sayin you're not missing much :lol:
I went three seasons (2 fall and one spring) before I saw a Tom strutting. I did see birds, but they always busted me and were gone in an instant. I am now hooked up with a rancher whose property is over run with birds, and he allows me to hunt there whenever I want. We are only allowed one bearded in spring, and one of any sex in the fall. There is talk of doubling the allowable take as the population is growing rapidly.

Pic of my hillbilly bbq outfit (you gotta look the part!) from last night:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JayZuv » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:47 pm

Here in NY, our season starts on the first of May. In my area we are lucky to have a healthy turkey population and we are allowed two bearded birds a year. Perhaps one of the most frustrating animals to hunt, but that’s what makes them so addicting. I’d say it’s my favorite hunting season of the year, and with luck I usually manage to talk at least one longbeard into range each spring. Good luck to all the spring hunters out there!
2 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:59 pm

CT has a very healthy population of wild turkeys because of a restoration effort started in 1975. In the last thirty years, I have seen several dozens of turkeys here, there, and everywhere. I once had to stop the car to allow a parade of about thirty birds, walking single/double file, across the road from one field to another. What a sight! Up front and personal! They were amazing!
CT DEEP wrote:"Between 1975 and 1992, 356 wild turkeys were released at 18 sites throughout the state. These releases and subsequent population expansion have resulted in the successful restoration of wild turkeys to all 169 Connecticut towns. Recent land use practices in Connecticut have also favored the expansion of wild turkey populations as the landscape has become more forested. As a result of restoration efforts and the increase in forest habitat, sportsmen have been able to hunt wild turkeys since 1981, and landowners and others have enjoyed observing them in their natural state."

-- https://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2723&q=326110
Henry88 wrote: I don't know about the rest of the country CT, but here in Florida success rates for turkey are EXTREMELY LOW. I would guess in their lifetime, most "Florida turkey hunters" never even see a tom. I guess I'm sayin you're not missing much :lol:
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:47 pm

as a Bearded turkey? :roll: Nice pose.
Redthies wrote:...my hillbilly bbq outfit (you gotta look the part!) from last night:
Last edited by Mags on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234