Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I failed this year

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

I failed this year

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:13 pm

I didn't get to go out during the three day extended turkey season because I still have the cough from when I was sick. This is the first year since my wife and I got married in '81 I haven't killed a turkey. My Sako 222 sat in the wall rack ready to go and I disappointed it. Hopefully there will be another year. Didn't go for deer this morning either. I don't care for deer hunting any way. I can stay home from hunting deer and never really miss going. If I didn't like deer meat I wouldn't even think of going out the door and leaving my nice warm gun room. It used to be a blast hunting deer with the gang and we would do deer drives and it was exciting to see all the different animals that would come out from the drivers. So many of the gang has passed on and the ones that are left either quit hunting or can't do the rough terrain in our area. I never could just sit waiting for a deer.
4 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: I failed this year

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:22 pm

Sucsess and failure is in the eyes of the beholder. I would say you made a successful run.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:26 pm

This is a sad story, Bandit. I hope you get over that cough soon, and hope you will have another year to happily hunt turkey (and deer); and another; and another; for many more years to come.

Ever since my wife passed away, I haven't even wanted to go to the shooting range. I paid for an annual membership in February, went shooting once in March and haven't been back since. I'm trying to dig may way out of this emotional funk, but it's hard. I'm sorry that your hunting party has passed on and that it has affected you this way. Thanks for sharing. Take good care of yourself.
bandit1250 wrote:I didn't get to go out during the three day extended turkey season because I still have the cough from when I was sick. This is the first year since my wife and I got married in '81 I haven't killed a turkey. My Sako 222 sat in the wall rack ready to go and I disappointed it. Hopefully there will be another year. Didn't go for deer this morning either. I don't care for deer hunting any way. I can stay home from hunting deer and never really miss going. If I didn't like deer meat I wouldn't even think of going out the door and leaving my nice warm gun room. It used to be a blast hunting deer with the gang and we would do deer drives and it was exciting to see all the different animals that would come out from the drivers. So many of the gang has passed on and the ones that are left either quit hunting or can't do the rough terrain in our area. I never could just sit waiting for a deer.
3 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Don't feel too bad, bandit. Our hunting days are behind us, too, and though we both have wonderful memories of hunting, we're now content to just go to the range and shoot for the love of shooting and call it good. Just the way it's worked out for us.
4 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:00 pm

I used to hear older guys say "I just don't really want to kill stuff any more." I would think to myself "Whats wrong with that guy that he don't want to hunt game any more." I may be getting to that point my self. But I still have the urge to go out to Montana and Wyoming at least one more time and shoot prairie dogs and ground squirrels. Maybe it is more the wonderful states of Wyoming and Montana that I long for more than the shooting. Even after 13 trips to those two states I still can't get them out of my mind. I may live in Pa. but my heart is in those two states.
4 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:07 pm

all too well understood on how the passing of friends I hunted with has reduced motivation to get out of the house and back into the woods .... I really enjoyed bear and boar hunting, given the opportunity, I would give it very serious consideration .... it would take something like taking a grandchild deer hunting to get me back out there
3 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Dont blame you for wanting to go to Wyoming and Montana. Wyoming is only 50 miles from my front door. My mother and her entire family were born there. I like it up there also and at one time went prairie dog hunting up in Northern Wyoming. Big game hunting I did for a few years and then gave it up for lack of interest as you mentioned. But a couple years ago a close friend lost his wife 2 weeks before she was to retire and his son committed suicide a year later. So because of the situation I decided to give my close friend some needed support and return to the woods with him. Now we look forward to it every year. But if one of us passes on Im sure the other may reconsider and not go anymore. No failure from what I see. Heck theres plenty of tin cans and clay pigeons to pick on with that triple deuce. I use to have one myself another one I should have kept.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:16 pm

bandit1250 wrote:I used to hear older guys say "I just don't really want to kill stuff any more." I would think to myself "Whats wrong with that guy that he don't want to hunt game any more." I may be getting to that point my self. But I still have the urge to go out to Montana and Wyoming at least one more time and shoot prairie dogs and ground squirrels. Maybe it is more the wonderful states of Wyoming and Montana that I long for more than the shooting. Even after 13 trips to those two states I still can't get them out of my mind. I may live in Pa. but my heart is in those two states.
I understand this, bandit. Although I now live in the north woods of Wisconsin, I grew up in the great wide open spaces of the west and, though I love our north woods, I still terribly miss those open vistas. Part of me will always remain out there where I can see for miles.
2 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:33 am

I would like to try turkey hunting some time with a rifle...in Missouri shotguns or bows is all you can use...while that does make it up close and exciting when you connect...it would be fun to test your shooting skills from farther away on one of those aggravating old Tom's...
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:14 am

Ozarkwoodswalker wrote:I would like to try turkey hunting some time with a rifle...in Missouri shotguns or bows is all you can use...while that does make it up close and exciting when you connect...it would be fun to test your shooting skills from farther away on one of those aggravating old Tom's...
Come to Pa. next fall and I will take you to my best turkey hunting areas. Bring a 22 cal. center fire. The 22 Hornet is good but I prefer the 222 Remington. The faster twist of the 223 plus the higher velocity can be damaging to the good parts you want to keep. If I had to hunt in the fall for turkey with a shot gun I probably wouldn't go out and I got really good shotguns to hunt with but I am a rifle hunter.
0 x