Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Looked for grouse

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Looked for grouse

Post by daytime dave » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:54 am

Over the last weekend, we went to camp. I went for a walk and grouse hunted. The snow was over a foot deep, but you didn't really need snow shoes. They would have been more hindrance than help most places. I brought an 870 in 20 gauge with an 18 1/2 inch smooth bore barrel. Half the walk is in the woods where the birds have mostly flushed. The shorter the barrel, the faster on target. The other half is walking the tracks. The tracks were packed down nicely from the snowmobiles. Unfortunately, there were no birds, or anything else for that matter. As stark as the photograph. The walk was nice.

2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Looked for grouse

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:04 am

Lovely pic, Dave. Looks very much like our north woods, here, snowmobile tracks and all. :)

Grouse numbers were down in our area, a bit, this year. We see one, now and then, on our property, but our property is not really good grouse habitat. Mostly low, boggy, dense tamarack/black pine tangles or mature pine forest. Not much for hardwoods and, especially. new growth hardwoods. Still, we do see them at times and hear their drumming when we paddle up the stream that feeds our lake. Wouldn't be the north woods without Ruffed Grouse.
0 x

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Looked for grouse

Post by Jdl447 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:58 pm

Grouse have become extinct in my state (Ohio). The landscape has gone from softwoods to tall hardwood trees. Plus they only manage for deer and turkey hunting anymore. More $ selling permits. Growing up we hunted grouse, bob whites and pheasant. Now all I see are grey squirrels mostly. But I don't mind. I'll just snipe em with the.22.
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.