Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

J.R.'s Amazing Snowgirl (Mazie): 2004-2017

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

J.R.'s Amazing Snowgirl (Mazie): 2004-2017

Post by ditchparrot » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Mazie 1.jpg
Everybody at Valley Oak Veterinary Center – the receptionist, the vet tech and the doctor herself – did their absolute best to make eye contact with me during my visit two Sundays ago. I made that impossible for them, however, as I never removed my dark, mirror-lensed sunglasses.

I couldn't let them see my eyes, which were red, swollen and wet. I was there for the worst of reasons – I was about to lose a cherished canine hunting companion, and those kind people were going to use a catheter and needle to end the relationship. I felt as if my wrap-around Maui Jims were the only thing preventing my complete loss of composure, so they weren't coming off.

I'm starting to hate the month of June in odd-numbered years. In 2015, I lost Zeke, my yellow Lab and the toughest, most loyal animal I've ever known. This time it was Mazie, my big-running, stylish English setter that lived to pursue game birds and cared about little else.

I could easily fill this entire sports section with photos and stories of Mazie, and not all of them would be the happy kind. Descended from royalty (Tekoa Mountain Sunrise, considered the greatest setter in the breed's long history, appears in her four-generation pedigree three times), she sometimes ignored the fact that we were a hunting team and did whatever she pleased. Those instances became less frequent as she aged, but she was capable of having one right up until the day I retired her from field work at age 11 two years ago.

In all honesty, she was way too much dog for her fat, crippled owner. If there wasn't a bird right where she was presently, there had to be one just a little farther toward the horizon and she'd keep pushing forward until she smelled it. She'd check in on me occasionally to make sure I was still upright, but she did a lot of her hunting out of my view. I didn't want to rein her in too much through training and take the chance on killing some of that coveted prey drive, so I just made sure we hunted in places where her range wasn't a major issue. When she went on point, I'd get a beep on the handheld unit that was linked to her GPS collar and then go find her.

When I'd reach the top of a knoll or come around the end of a tree line and see her standing on point, it was a glorious sight! That long, feathered white tail would be almost erect at the 12 o'clock position, with just the last couple inches tilted slightly toward her head, and every muscle in her body would quiver as she stood stock still. As I approached, I could see her mouth open and close slowly as she took in the scent that she loved so much.

She pointed a boatload of birds during her 10 seasons afield. In addition to all of the hunting, I entered her in every walking field trial I could find within a 3-hour driving radius. She won a bunch of ribbons and one beautiful stone plaque, and other memorabilia from horseback trials in which she was handled by Pierre Urrutia, the final local trainer. Urrutia also ran her on many guided hunts for pen-raised birds at Clear Creek Sports Club during which she pointed as many as 40 in a day.

For several years running, Mazie was the star of Urrutia's pointing dog demonstrations at the International Sportsman's Exposition in Sacramento. She'd always appear last, following a couple of dogs in earlier stages of development. She'd elicit oohs and ahs from the crowd as she smelled the hidden pigeon and struck her splendid pose, and invariably the first question from the audience would be, "How long does it take to get a dog to do that?" I had a very difficult time refraining from standing up and yelling, "That's my dog!"

Mazie made seven trips to the plains of northeastern Montana, where she was really in her element pursuing that region's Hungarian partridge and sharp-tailed grouse. Unfortunately, three of those excursions were interrupted by encounters with porcupines – she hated those spiny rodents something fierce and not only tried to bite them, but also pin them to the ground in the manner that a wolf takes down a deer. Twice I had to leave her overnight at the vet's office as they had to put her under full anesthetic to remove all the quills, which started at her mouth and ran the full length of her underside. The old vet told me after the first encounter that a high-powered dog like her probably wouldn't learn from the experience, or at least wouldn't be dissuaded by it. He was right.

This fall, I'll scatter Mazie's cremains at a location I'll keep to myself because there's probably some government regulation that makes that act illegal. It'll be at the site of one of her finest pieces of bird work, when she pinned a wily old rooster pheasant that was bent on running ahead of her by sprinting all the way to the end of a long row of high grass and then coming back toward me to meet the ditch parrot head-on.

I wonder what that bird was thinking when he realized that the dog he was intent on eluding was now standing right in front of him, cutting off his only escape route. He wasn't thinking anything a few moments later, as he was floating dead on the surface of a pond and Mazie was in the process of making a water retrieve – kind of a big deal for her because she didn't care much for swimming and wasn't very good at it.

I'll never have another dog like her, and frankly, I don't want one. I can't handle those phenomenal levels of prey drive and energy at this point in my life. I've got two closer-working dogs left in my stable, a young black Lab and an aging adopted pointer, and their styles are much more suited to my own.

"Great memories of her," Urrutia texted me after I'd sent him a message to notify him of Mazie's passing. "One of the best setters I've ever been around."

Yep, the memories – those are what will live on. The photos, trophies and ribbons are neat, but the pictures I can conjure up in my mind's eye are infinitely more meaningful. And if I ever begin to lose any of them, Lord, let it be the ones involving those darn porcupines.
Mazie 2.jpg
Got one here, boss!
Mazie 3.jpg
Christmas 2004
Mazie 4.JPG
Late afternoon shadows in the back yard.
Mazie 5.jpg
Putting on a show for the crowd at the International Sportsman's Expo.
Aly and Mazie.jpg
Time to say goodbye.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: J.R.'s Amazing Snowgirl (Mazie): 2004-2017

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Thanks for sharing this beautiful love story and the photos of Mazie with us, DitchParrot. I'm so very sorry for your loss.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:08 pm

What a superb story about an amazing animal. I love the last photo of Aly with Mazie. It just shows that for all her talent, Mazie was still a dog that liked to have a pat now and again. ;)
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Deepest sympathy.

We too have lost cats, dogs and horses. As painful as it is at the end, they enriched our lives and brought so much love and happiness.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Thank you for sharing that DP. I too have had English setters and understand the drive and energy that only a good dog like that brings to the field. And also like you I will settle for the less rambunctious Labrador, wonderful creature.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Out of your very sad loss, ditchparrot, came a wonderful story of friendship and love, sweet memories ("Yep, the memories – those are what will live on.....the pictures I can conjure up in my mind's eye are infinitely more meaningful..."), along with great photos. Know it was hard (and easy) to write about Mazie, and sincere thanks for sharing this with us.
0 x

~Пока~

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:39 pm

I hope that this time has gone easier as the days pass. She looked like a great dog that we all dream of.

I wish her well on her next journey and I hope you recover quickly and find another fine hunting spirit.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:52 am

The absolute only bad thing about loving a dog,

RIP Mazie
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:04 am

Yes Sir, losing a faithful companion can bring the toughest of men to tears. Glad you had pictures and the memories will last forever.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:33 am

Beautiful story. When we lose such dogs, they really do take a bit of our heart with them, but they fill that part with beautiful memories. I do understand what you are experiencing.
0 x