Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

least powerfull .22 ammo

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

least powerfull .22 ammo

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:25 pm

The entire neighborhood has a rabbit problem. I was borrowing a neighbors air rifle and got four rabbits before he wanted it back. Now I'm thinking maybe I could shoot a low powered .22. I have a ton of HV shorts but they are too powerful and make too much noise. Then I tried some CB shorts. Is there anything even less powerful and quieter?

On a side note some of the neighbors are anti-gun but now they are asking for help in shooting rabbits.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: least powerfull .22 ammo

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:13 pm

Thinking it would be a solution for groundhogs in my residential neighborhood, I bought some Aquilla Colibri 22s. It is very quiet, certainly less loud than my pellet gun, but at about 20 feet it just bounced off of a pine board. It might hurt them, but I wouldn't recommend it for killing rabbits. I've read that Aquilla also makes a Super Colibri that may be a bit better. Both versions have no powder, just a primer.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:41 pm

CCI .22LR quiets. They are available in standard round nose and segmented (both are 40grs). They are very quiet. I have a gas piston springer .22 pellet rifle, and it makes more noise than the CCIs. I kid you not. I think they are a little faster than the Colibris at 710fps.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:51 pm

+1 on CCI quiets. They are quiet, and they work.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Another vote for the CCI, but still think the CB Shorts are a good choice.

Might want to consider an airgun if the problem persists. In airguns, PCPs are the quietest, yet they're also the most powerful as air guns go. Either of our two PCP rifles would humanly dispatch animals the size of a raccoon. Rabbits and like size animals, no problem at all.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:25 am

North Country Gal wrote:Another vote for the CCI, but still think the CB Shorts are a good choice.

Might want to consider an airgun if the problem persists. In airguns, PCPs are the quietest, yet they're also the most powerful as air guns go. Either of our two PCP rifles would humanly dispatch animals the size of a raccoon. Rabbits and like size animals, no problem at all.
I've been stealing the neighbors GAMO Big Cat 1400. I know where he hides it. Sometimes another neighbor will spot one and send a broadcast text out. Whoever has the rifle takes care of it.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Cool. Sounds like one of those movies where a community gets together to stop an invasion of giant this or that critters. :)
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:20 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Cool. Sounds like one of those movies where a community gets together to stop an invasion of giant this or that critters. :)
Can I get Tom Selleck to play me?
1 x

Neon Horse
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Neon Horse » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:20 pm

CCI Quiets are fairly quiet. The Aguila Colibri are even quieter. Still, I have been using the CCI more because of the heavier bullet.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:16 pm

In the comeback since the shortage, I have seen LOADS of subsonic hollow points I don't remember prior, both short and LR.

As we all know, in a long barrel bolt gun, these will be quiet.

But my advice would be, SirH, to go get ya a REALLY nice airgun, maybe Weihrauch :roll:

North Country Gal is the expert.

I am going to predict if you do, you will come back and post that you can't believe you didn't buy one before.

That way you got it for the invasion of the zombie lepus or what ever fate may befall your neighborhood...........
0 x