Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

walk in the woods

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

walk in the woods

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:54 am

I took my 870 I picked up last Saturday for a little walk yesterday while the snow was still on the ground. First thing I saw was 13 long beard gobblers at the gate on my way in to my friends hunting ground. After I got in to his place there was a lot of deer tracks some fox tracks and a single set of coyote tracks. I saw a lot of squirrel tracks but a couple squirrels can make a lot of tracks if they are active. They can make tracks every where then go up a tree and cross through several trees and come back down and make tracks every where again and it looks like a bunch of squirrels and maybe it is the same one. The window of opportunity to see squirrels in the winter gets pretty small as their activity is not like in the fall. I shot one yesterday with the 870 just because it is a new to me shotgun. I have 25 quarts of cold packed squirrels on the shelf and don't need any more. Most of the cold packed ones came from 2013 when I got 99 that year with my CZ 17 Mach 2. That was a great squirrel year but I got the flu and didn't get back out to get number 100. I had a jar for supper several weeks back that got pushed to the rear and was dated '99 and were as good as if I had just got them. No wonder our parents canned a lot of stuff when we were kids. No freezer burn to lose your stuff to. Next year I need to try to get enough squirrels to can a gallon of hearts. :shock: :D Just kidding. I don't believe my crooked arthritic fingers could skin that many. This was from yesterday. The snow was gone in less than 2 hrs. once the air warmed up. It got up to 55 degrees. Supposed to be a record today at *64.

2 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: walk in the woods

Post by Henry88 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:09 am

Nice scene there bandit. That looks like maybe a big grey, rather than the fox squirrels that we've scene in the past.

And yes, the later in the season (we run until early march), the harder it gets :)
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:50 pm

Henry88 wrote:Nice scene there bandit. That looks like maybe a big grey, rather than the fox squirrels that we've scene in the past.

And yes, the later in the season (we run until early march), the harder it gets :)
Yes this is a grey squirrel. I saw a fox squirrel and another grey on this outing but never tried to get them. I really don't need anymore and I am not mad at them so I will let them for seed for next years season if God is willing. :)
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Buddy and I went out and walked a section of the Wildlife Management area yesterday. It was a last minute decision,so I didn't have my Henry with me. I just carried his Savage 22 WMR. Saw some hog signs, they are legal this time of year, but you must carry only rimfire or shotgun with pellet size restrictions in the WMAs.

Didn't see a single squirrel. Went out a couple months ago during big game season, and they were were all over.

Temps were in the upper 60s. Nice day.

That poor squirrel must be very tired. Sleeping on a branch with you so close taking pictures and all.
Must have worn himself out making all those tracks.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya