Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fox

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Fox

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:03 pm

I went out this afternoon where I saw the fox with the mange and driving back the road I saw on hunting in a field that had the grass mowed down last week. That is usually a good place to hunt Red fox after it is cut as they like to get the mice and moles. Reds are out in the daytime and seldom see a grey in the daytime. So I got my Sako 222 out of my truck and followed a fence row back to break my out line to where I was planning on shooting from. For got my shooting sticks so I had to lay down and get the best rest I could with out it. I turned the scope up to 9X and the fox still looked small. I tried to break the distance down by eye in 100yd. increments but it is hard to do with the rolling ground. I figured it to be 375yds. So I used the pointed part of the duplex reticle for my aiming point and let a 55gr. Sierra go. I seen in the scope the dust flew right over the foxes back but good for windage. So I waited for it to settle down as it got pretty nervous for a few seconds. Then with a pretty good hold I lowered the duplex a little and when I shot I heard the bullet hit and the fox jumped up in the air and went to run and after maybe 5yds. went into a skid on its nose. So I went back to the truck and put my rifle away in the case and decided to walk down and have a look. Walking down I jumped the mangy one out of a brush pile and it left in hurry and me there with out my rifle. I later used the laser and the distance was 347yds. That is starting to stretch it pretty well for the 222 Remington cartridge. The bullet expanded at that distance to about the size of a quarter on exit. This one is kind of mangy looking but nothing like the bigger one. I may watch this field in the next few days with my 220 Swift in case they show up in the next field where it will be 500yds.+ to the edge of the brush. The bullet went in at the shoulder and came out behind the leg on the other side.Image
3 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Fox

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:39 pm

Thanks, Bandit. Good luck helping the other one, too.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:31 pm

I hate to see any animal suffer so you did a good thing thinning out the diseased population. I hope you get the other one. Does it look anything like this poor critter.
I saw it in town in Hammondsport New York last July. I couldn't have shot it if I had a gun without going to jail.
CSC_0560.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:24 pm

Sad story but well written bandit. You have a good writing style bandit, at least for shooting stories.

Also hate to see any animal suffer..................
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:06 pm

Watch the Red fox at work catching his meals. He is a master at getting a meal in tough conditions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2SoGHFM18I
0 x