Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

This mornings walk in the woods

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

This mornings walk in the woods

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:16 pm

I went to my friends home this morning to help him with a small job. When we got to where he didn't need me for a while I took my 222 Sako for a walk out behind his house. Lots of squirrel sign so I sat down for a while and saw 5 or 6 but none that would allow a shot with the rifle. Finally I got a chance at one that didn't head to the thick stuff at the top of the hill. I had my shooting sticks and had a good hold and hit right where I had the cross hairs. Was only about a 60yd shot with Dad's '80s Sako A1 Hunter 222 Remington. This is a male Fox squirrel. I believe I could have peeled the metal off the door of my truck easier than skinning this critter. I tried not to show the bullet exit because it was pretty bad. I also got a big grey squirrel after I took the picture of the Fox squirrel.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: This mornings walk in the woods

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:50 pm

I didn't know there were different kinds of squirrels. Maybe you could give us a lesson.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:30 am

There is several different kind of squirrels in our area. The most common is the grey squirrel. We also have the smaller Red squirrel or pine squirrel that some folks call it. They were once very common and they had a real decline along with the chipmunks a while back and have recovered in some areas but in our location are not seen often. We have a pretty good population of the Fox squirrel like the one pictured. The Fox squirrel seems to be expanding their range in Pa. to places they were seldom seen before. They are larger than the grey squirrel by a fair amount. The fox squirrel likes areas near creeks or lakes and along the edges of fields especially corn fields. Usually moves a little later in the morning than the grey squirrel. Sometimes I never see them until after 9:00 EST. A good day for Fox squirrel is a misty foggy weather day. The fox squirrel will cross a large wide open field that a grey squirrel will usually not go across unless they have a fence row to travel. Then we also have the black squirrel that is quite common in Ohio and Indiana. I believe it is a variation of the grey squirrel. Not common to our area here but out in the north west part of Pa. north of I-80 and near the Ohio line they are more likely to be seen than headed east into the state. There is other areas that have black squirrels most areas are northern areas of the state. I have seen a few black ones east of the Beaver River area so they seem to be expanding their range some. If I wanted to hunt black ones I would lean more to hunting near the Ohio state line area of Pa. I have taken a few black ones in my years of hunting in my area but they tend to be very rare here. I have also been lucky enough to take a full Albino in my state. Squirrel hunting in my area is almost a thing of the past and I seldom see anyone. If I see a hunter in squirrel season he usually is a archery hunter.
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:41 am

That squirrel definitely doesn't look happy, bandit .... I think you might have spoiled his day! ;)
0 x