Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Nice day Wednesday in the woods

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Nice day Wednesday in the woods

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:06 pm

Wednesday was a beautiful fall day here in Pa. I went for squirrel and every time it was quiet for a while here would come a herd of deer in where I was sitting and make a bunch of noise and just stay there eating acorns and chasing each other around. Finally at about 10:30 the deer left and it was only about 15 min later the squirrels started moving. I saw around 12 but only got the cross hairs on two for a shot. Then around 11:45 the woods went silent like shutting off a switch. There were no squirrel or birds or anything else moving. I went back to my truck and got a pruning tool I took along with me to clear stuff growing out in to the road way going in to my friends land where I hunt. Tuesday I got my truck scratched by the branches and stuff scraping the sides and had to buff them out Tuesday evening. It has plenty of room now on the sides of the road to not rub the vehicles. Here is back at the truck getting my tool and putting away my Ruger 22 Magnum.
Two squirrels I got. The 30gr. V-Max is very erratic on how it expands. The one squirrel shot in the neck went out the shoulder and took most of the shoulder off. The second one shot in the neck went out the same size as went in. I feel guys will lose a lot of turkeys with these bullets not expanding like they should. I guess that is why I never liked plastic tips as well as lead. I had the same results last year on pheasants with a different lot # of V-Max. Starting Saturday the Sako 222 Remington will be back out for turkey hunting.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Nice day Wednesday in the woods

Post by Henry88 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:34 pm

That one to the right is huge for a grey.

Could it be a fox squirrel ?

They are rare around here, so I haven't seen many.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:52 pm

nicely done .... hope your season will continue to go well
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:39 am

Nice pair of tasty squirrels.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:58 am

Looks like you're going to have a lot of good squirrel stew with the way you've been taking them lately. That's a really nice rifle.
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001