Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Today in the squirrel woods

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Today in the squirrel woods

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:14 pm

Was a day of crazy weather from sunshine to terrible wind back to sunshine and then get really dark and pour down rain. I didn't go until late afternoon and started out with the CZ full stock. Squirrels were very much moving fast on the ground. I got shots at three and got two and just couldn't seem to get on very many to get a shot. I went back to the truck and was going to leave and I thought I need more than a couple for squirrel gravy. So I got my 870 20ga. full choke out from behind the seat and headed back to the oak trees at the edge of the thick stuff and gave them an introduction to "Mr. 870." I got shots at 4 and got all of them to finish my limit. Then back to the truck to clean them as it was really getting black again to let the rain down again. Here they are.
6 squirrels gutted and skinned in 12 minutes with out pulling any tails off. I struggle some now with my arthritis in my fingers but actually surprised myself getting them done that fast.
CZ FS 22lr. with the only two I got with it. The shooting sticks are a blessing in the squirrel woods and helps me up and down the steep areas.
There is a lot of squirrel sign in this area with a lot of oak limbs bit off lying around on the ground that they use to build nests while not using the den trees.Image
Todays battery of guns was CZ FS 22lr. for the short to medium range. Center is my Ruger Predator 22 Magnum for the big open woods if I end up hunting there. My 1953 20ga. 870 for squirrels that won't sit still long enough. I love this shot gun and it is a dream to carry and shoots very tight patterns.

5 x

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Today in the squirrel woods

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:51 pm

Just an outstanding report with great photos! I know it was a miserable day around here starting about 2:30PM. I am a fair weather hunter nowadays :D You have terrific skinning skills, skin 'em while they're warm! And, my 870 Wingmaster is just like yours. Congratulations on a great day afield!
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:57 pm

We have tons of squirrels around here but it's not safe to shoot. Nice lookin' FS CZ.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:01 pm

Only two minutes per each squirrel clean...excellent work. Very bountiful squirrel harvest there.

Your pictures of the harvest, guns, and woods are all great. Thanks for taking us along on a great hunt!
1 x

~Пока~

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:08 pm

Deadwood Dutch wrote:Just an outstanding report with great photos! I know it was a miserable day around here starting about 2:30PM. I am a fair weather hunter nowadays :D You have terrific skinning skills, skin 'em while they're warm! And, my 870 Wingmaster is just like yours. Congratulations on a great day afield!
Cut them under the tail and stand on the tail and pull up on the back legs. I have been doing them this way for 40 years or more. The nice thing is they don't look like they need shaved when you are done. :lol: Rarely a hair on the meat unless you get it off your hands on them while handling them after skinning. The game shears work really well when doing them this way.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:04 pm

I've cleaned about most of everything including many squirrels, but I need at least one good shot of bourbon before I start :D
1 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:26 am

Nice haul - and some lovely firearms, too. I really must make an effort to find a CZxxx FS. I love Stutzen type stocks. ;)
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:01 am

That was a great hunt report. I really like the looks of that CZ. I'm glad you didn't give up. It's nice to have more than one gun when hunting like that.

Thanks for taking us along.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:41 am

Excellent, Bandit. Thanks for the great hunting report and photos.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:19 am

Buddy and I went out yesterday. Looking for big game. We haven't had a frost here yet and the old heads say the squirrels aren't worth taking out of the woods until after a frost. We were looking for wild hog/deer. What we found was a huge cloud of mosquitoes. Even the Thermacell didn't keep them away. We went a couple hundred yards in, and then decided on the better part of valor. Highs were still in the 80s.

The high is supposed to be only 70 today. Lows in the 40s tonight. Maybe it will damp down the little blood suckers.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya