Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Squirrels with Henry's

Hunter5567
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Squirrels with Henry's

Post by Hunter5567 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:14 am

Back before Henry started manufacturing their lever action, Erma Werke in West Germany was making the same basic lever action under their name and also as the Ithaca Model 72 rifle and under the Iver Johnson name. I've had examples of each of those in 22 magnum and bagged many a squirrel with them. The trick with 22 magnum was to use the FMJ rounds. They always seemed to be "lucky" guns. Whenenver I hunted with them, I would pick a spot and sit down to wait and it's like the squirrels would come out of the woodwork. One time I saw 7 squirrels on one tree and got 6 of them with the rifle.
Later I used the Henry .22 lever action and shot many squirrels with them always waiting for head shots. Bag limit is 8 squirrels a day but the 22 magnum rifles always seemed to be the luckiest. Had the same luck with a Winchester 9422 in 22 magnum. I'll have to pick up another Henry in 22 magnum to go along with my Ruger American 22 magnum bolt action rifle. It's also deadly on hogs with head shots. We have a fair number of big hogs running around our hunting property that are great pests. Probably carry something bigger like the Henry Steel 44 for those pests.
3 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Squirrels with Henry's

Post by ditto1958 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:36 am

Cool story. I haven't shot squirrels with my H001, but I did use it to dispatch a rabbit a couple years ago. Head shot, and the bunny was DRT. I don't imagine squirrels stand much of a chance against .22 magnums.
0 x