Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tuesday's two hour hunt

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Tuesday's two hour hunt

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:11 pm

Went out this morning and decided to use the CZ 452 Scout 22 that I put in a 452 Trainer stock so it fits me better. What a neat little rifle that turned into with the short 16 1/4" barrel and a full size stock. Has a Leupold 2-7 rim fire scope on it and a 10 oz trigger and is very accurate with RWS sub sonic hpt ammo and more often than not will stay under a half inch at 50 yds from the bench. The squirrels must be wising up a little from the hunting that I have been doing that normally doesn't happen on my friends land. They were good at staying out of range of the 22 and I don't want any crippling shots on them. On the way back to the car to get the 222 Sako I jumped a rabbit along the edge of the road going to the horse shed. It ran across a small grassy field and stopped and sat there at the edge of the grown up drainage ditch. I believe it was maybe 60 yds or slightly more. I had a good rest and took the shot and I saw it jump up a little at the strike of the bullet. I hit it slightly below and behind the eye. I didn't even see it kick. So now I have a big fat rabbit that I left whole when I cleaned it to cook in the oven with dressing in with it. The little CZ did it's job just fine and the RWS sub sonic made a solid thud when it hit. While at the car I put the 22 away and got out the 222. I saw eight squirrels in the next hour and got shots at three and got all of them. One would have been easily 22 LR range but the other two were over the hundred yard range where the 222 really makes shots like that fairly easy with a decent rest. I have ran out of Sierra 55 gr Spitzer bullets and had to use 55 Sierra boat tails and wasn't sure they would shoot the same but they shot very well to point of aim on the longer shots so all is well. Bullets at most places are out of stock even at the internet sale places. We are back where we was during the last shortages. I still have plenty of the lighter weight more destructive thin jacket bullets but they are not good on squirrels and turkeys. Shoot a turkey with one of those bullets you may get the legs with the feet attached to scratch your back with. :shock: Day off tomorrow from the woods with heavy rain and high wind fore cast. Maybe get out Thursday morning.
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Tuesday's two hour hunt

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:44 pm

nice .... very nice indeed .... congrats on the bunny
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Tuesday's two hour hunt

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:58 pm

Sounds like you're having a good season, bandit. Some good meals, too. Keep the reports coming.
2 x