Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Camo suggestion

Keystone
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Camo suggestion

Post by Keystone » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:53 pm

It’s been a number of years since I’ve hunted.

I am looking at suggestions for camo clothing. Mostly what brands should I be looking at? A lot had changed in the last 20 years in camo world.

I’ll be heading to Maine in September for bear and debating camo or my green buffalo plaid wool jacket and some wool pants.

Thanks
—Matt
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Camo suggestion

Post by markiver54 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:01 am

I have a lot of Real Tree camo. I like it best, even though I don't really hunt anymore. Used to bear hunt.
Depends on your method of hunting.
If you use dogs, like we did, then the camo really doesn't matter. Just my $.02.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:10 am

Go full sniper and put together a gillie rig. Just don't put anything on it that bears like to eat. ;)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:45 am

in thinking back, I took more black bear, boar and deer before hunting camo became popular .... back then we wore brown Duxbak pants and coats with red/black checkered flannel shirts .... eventually I did buy some early generation Realtree tree bark pattern .... today's patterns are drastically more realistic .... eventually, I decided to let the type of hunting I was doing determine what I wore .... when hunting from Texas type tower stands I didn't see much need for camo .... the walking I did try to wear something that would fit in but thinking about it, in places that required wearing a bright orange vest, I can't help but wonder
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:48 am

That Where's Waldo guy is always hard to see...red & white stripe shirt and hat.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:33 am

My experience is similar to JEBar's since I also started hunting in the days before camo. Even with my bowhunting, I did just as well with or without camo. I later used camo, simply because most hunting clothing on the market went (and still is) camo. Never could prove one pattern was better than another, but that's me. Other folks get pretty obsessive about it and that's okay. For my bowhunting, I was much more concerned about controlling scent.

As far as wool, can't ever go wrong with wool when hunting in the north woods as far as I'm concerned. Green plaid is excellent camo in this country.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:12 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:45 am
.... the walking I did try to wear something that would fit in but thinking about it, in places that required wearing a bright orange vest, I can't help but wonder
I am new to hunting, first time last year. But, that is my thought about it. It seems controlling smell and noise are more important than color matching, especially while wearing an orange vest and hat.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:29 pm

I've always been told, deer are color blind. If true, then noise, smell and a broken up silhouette are really all that matter.
As I said earlier; we used to bear hunt with dogs, so some guys just wore jeans and whatever, and we had a very high success rate.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Keystone
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Keystone » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:53 pm

Sounds like I might save some cash and wear my green buffalo plaid and a pair a wool pants and be done. I have done well with this setup through the years. I know bears over bait they tell me smell and movements are paramount to success. My experience with wool is it is good for scent control. The movement, well, that’s up to me
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:59 pm

If you're hunting from a tree over bait, scent and movement are paramount. If at all possible; stay down wind. Anymore, bears are likely to go for the food, even in urban environments.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry