Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Turkey time in TN

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Turkey time in TN

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:17 pm

congrats on a good hunt and really nice bird .... I'm curious about your shotgun .... it looks like a fine hunter
0 x

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:30 am

It’s not your typical turkey gun for sure; it’s a Benelli m4 which is one of the best if not the best ‘tactical’ shotguns available. The m4 is used by special forces, sas, swat, and other units of this type. It is Benelli’s only gas operated shotgun and recoil is markedly reduced as a result. To me it seemed like a perfect hunting shotgun if one can get away from the ugliness when laid alongside fine walnut and blued steel. It is short relatively at 40” oal with an 18.5” barrel; yep that’s short but in my older years I have come to much appreciate handiness. I chose the standard as opposed to the pistol grip stock. It comes with adjustable ghost ring rear sight on a picatinny rail and a winged military style front sight. It accepts the Beretta/Benelli Mobil choke tubes so by switching chokes and varying ammo selection from birdshot to buckshot to slugs it becomes a do anything rugged, reliable, handy semiauto shotgun. Mine has a Burris fastfire 3 red dot sight...I like the red dots a lot using them on my Henry cf carbines. I really really like it of course and realize other features would be more important for other shotgun users. For this turkey kill I used Federal TSS #9 although any load would have worked at 25 yards; TSS carries a lot of energy to longer ranges with a lot of pellets in the pattern. Maybe I can get another one into range without him seeing me first!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:11 am

info appreciated .... really very interesting
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:31 am

Nice birds TN, I have only gotten to go once, opening morn.
All I saw were a few hens, and it's pouring rain this morn.

Congrats, what is the limit this year, 3 or 4?
I haven't checked, as I'm not close. HaHa.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:34 am

Yeah Vaquero heavy showers this am ...supposed to get maybe 2” plus of rain today with storminess later...planning on going after the one that smoked me the other day in the morning...lol...limit is 4 bearded turkeys...I think it should be reduced to 2 because of decline in turkey numbers...but turkey numbers do seem to be increasing a bit to me...good luck to you...
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:44 am

Thanks, and good luck to ya, hope you get that one.
I could've gone yesterday morn but chose to go help the daughter do some work on their house. ;)

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012