Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hunting hogs with rimfire question

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Re: Hunting hogs with rimfire question

Post by roddy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:19 pm

With your back-up plan in mind, I would likely choose the .22 Magnum, and since you mentioned inexpensive, likely a bolt-action repeater...either the Savage 93G, or the Marlin XT-22M. Both have a reputation for accuracy much better than the price point would suggest. If I went with the Marlin, I would try to find one of the tube-fed models.
For hunting, I would suggest trying the 50 grain hollow point round from Federal.
I just picked up a Savage 93G in 22 Mag, but haven't had a chance to shoot it.
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:45 pm

I have a Savage 9317bv .17HMR. A vert accurate rife. Could easily handle any of the shots, brain, neck....
Not a pig of course but explosive damage on ground squirrels.
Whatever rimfire a sure shot placement is important.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:07 pm

Well, I went ahead and picked up a Savage 93 F today. Got tired of overthinking it. LGS had one in stock, a little over $200. This model has iron sights. I will probably go with that at first, then figure out what I want to do for sights a little down the road. I might pick up a set of scope bases and mount the 4x9-40 Nikon I have on the Henry H001 and see if I like that. I don't plan on making 150 yd shots with it.

Called DNR today and verified I can carry my .45 when hunting the WMAs during small game season.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:39 pm

Got the scope mounted today, and took it to the range. Accuracy was decent. This is a lot more fun to shoot than a .22lr IMO. I need to find a good local source for range ammo.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Another update. Found some CCI maxi mags, 40 grain HP. These seemed to feed very well. Price was much better than the Hornady personal defense rounds I picked up when I bought the rifle. It was the only .22 WMR on the shelf then.

LGS has the 5 round mags for this rifle for less than $20. That is cheaper than most internet sources, before shipping. No 10 rounders on the shelf.
0 x