Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Wisconsin Feral Pigs

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Wisconsin Feral Pigs

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:53 am

it appears that the Feral Pig (aka : wild hog) population has exploded in Wisconsin .... I hunted wild hogs back in the late '60's / early '70's and found the meat to be inedible .... I can't help but wonder if that is still true .... if I lived in Wisconsin, I'd probably try to find a farmer/rancher who needed to get rid of some ...

"The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources has adopted the position that feral pigs are exotic, non-native wild animals that pose significant threats to both the environment and to agricultural operations. The Department promotes aggressive removal anywhere feral pigs are reported.

Feral pigs are considered unprotected wild animals with no closed season or harvest limit.

Feral pigs are prohibited invasive species under Wisconsin's Invasive Species Rule, ch. NR 40 and are classified a Harmful Wild Animal under the Captive Wildlife Rules, ch. NR 16.

Feral pigs may be removed any time throughout the year as long as you possess a valid small game license and the permission of the landowner where you hunt. Note: it is the hunters responsibility to determine if a pig is feral and not a domestic pig that has escaped from its owner and is running loose.

Landowners may shoot feral pigs on their own property without a hunting license, under DNR's animal nuisance control authority."

taken from link below

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/feralpig.html
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Wisconsin Feral Pigs

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:56 am

Yes, I've heard about feral pigs moving into our state, but, so far, it's been in the southern part of the state in farm country. Remains to be seen whether pigs can survive the winters in our northern part of the state. Not a matter of cold, but a matter of deep snow, not to mention acidic soils with sparse undergrowth in our coniferous forests. Guess we'll find out, though.

That's the thing about new species in an area. You just never know. Take the wild turkey, for instance. A few were stocked up here at first, some years back, mostly as an experiment. The prevailing opinion with the biologists was that the birds wouldn't be able to survive our long hard winters. Wrong! We see them all the time, now, righto in our own neighborhood, even at times in our yard.

1 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:12 am

Missouri, at least the south parts has pigs.theu are bad news.you don't want them
The state is aggressively trapping and killing them
At first they told hunters to shoot whenever they saw them but they now feel that makes the others in the sound too difficult to trap so they saw don't shoot just report..I don't know the answer , but I know they wreck havoc on the landscape and are hard on wildlife...
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:15 pm

Recently, I watched an episode of Dead-Meat (https://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/sho ... meat/81974) in which the host and his guides hunted, killed, cooked, and ate a feral hog. The preparation of the meat was important, but not as much as the primary diet of the hog. Macadamia Nuts. The host, Scott Leysath, a chef and hunter/fisherman, said the meat was tasty and lots of islanders agree.

In the same episode, they hunted and killed a feral cow. Who knew?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:36 pm

a friend from Texas just told me "You don't even need a hunting permit for feral hogs in Texas. Heck, you can even shoot them from hot air balloons and helicopters. " further that based on his experience, "The small ones are edible. The big ones are only fit for animal feed."
0 x