Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Texas: The hogs are winning

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:07 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:22 pm
Mistered wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:32 pm
[quoteI know a rancher who tells me they run freely on his property and approach him closely and don't show much fear.
If it were my ranch....
Each one would only do it once. :o :shock: :lol: :lol:

RP
Ditto... :x
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:28 pm

I'd sure like to link up with some rancher/farmer in Texas who wouldn't mind having the herd on his land thinned ... ;)
2 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:38 pm

ESquared wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:44 pm
Hog hunting is illegal in Missouri, with the Dept of Conservation depending (betting?) on trapping as the most effective means of eradication. This article, published 6 months ago, doesn't cite any data on their success, but it lays out their strategy and funding levels. Would really be interesting to see how it's going, but they do refer to success with this approach in Tennessee.

https://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2018-12/closing-feral-hogs
Interesting approach, hope it works for them but I doubt it.
I get hogs moving in once or twice a year not big numbers but mobs of a dozen or more. I have had a couple of traps out for 2 years and still haven't caught a single animal. They are the same design of trap I was using 20 years ago when I was trapping and selling for the European wild boar meat market. Wasnt unusual to catch 20 or 30 a week in a couple of traps back then so I know the traps do work.
I have shot nearly a dozen in the same time.
I think by far the best approach is a combined attack utilising all methods.
3 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:24 am

Hogs are bad need for the environment and other wild life...kill the swine!
I do not have the answer of how to get rid of them. Curiously, I do want to make the comment just for discussion.....I know that in Missouri before open range ended in the 30's or 40's...(depending on where you were in the state) farmers let their hogs run out...pretty much a recipe for wild hogs...they fed on acorns in the woods and whatever...they would round them up in the fall enough to get some butchered for ham and bacon etc....and somehow when open range ended back then those old farmers pretty much caught all the hogs and for years there were no wild hogs in Missouri....no with fools letting them out to hunt it's a problem to get rid of them.....but ya have to wonder, if those old farmers could get them ALL gathered up once upon a time......that there had to be a way to get rid of them now....if the proper incentive and effort would be put forth....that being said ... remember I'm the guy that said early in this post....I don't have the answer of how to do it ....I know it is a monster problem in some states and wish them luck getting rid of the nasty porkers....I saw on the news where a wild hog killed a woman in Texas the other day....sad deal ....
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:48 am

If there's a way to do it the only way to rapidly reduce the population is to introduce some kind of biologic or chemical that prevents successful breeding. As long as a sow cranks out a couple dozen shoats a year they will be a problem. However, a biological attack, if it's possible at all, might be very difficult to control. Like Jurassic Park - life finds a way.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:56 am

we will be in Texas from January - March .... will have Henry rifles and ammo on hand .... would be happy to assist in the eradication .. 8-)
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Sounds very sporting and for a good cause. Would love to help out!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:03 pm

two years ago I thought I was going to have an opportunity to participate in a hog hunt but it didn't work out .... the land changed owners a few weeks before we got down there ... I was sure looking forward to it
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:12 pm

I think that might be a good last outing for that crazy 500 mag that I still have!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:20 pm

no doubt about it, a 500 should do the job ... 8-)
0 x