Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gift for a hunter ideas

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Gift for a hunter ideas

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:50 pm

Bought myself a pair of Nikon 10x30 hunting binoculars last year and used them this year hunting. They are compact and powerful. I really liked using them this year and recommend them to anyone who wants a pair of good lightweight binos.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:37 pm

I agree with Big Al. I bought this set last year, and my hunting buddy and I compared them to his $1000 Vortex binos, and mine are smoother, equally crisp and clear and $875 cheaper. His are about 2% brighter. That’s nice, but not CCH Big Boy Carbine nice!

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-10x42-ProS ... f+3s&psc=1
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:18 pm

Well, I'll give you an update. I was going to get him the Nikon 10 x 42 compact. They were a little too high everywhere for my budget, but Gander had a 25% off everything on their website sale. I was all set to order them and have them sent to the local store, but they took them off the website. I've been having to work a lot of overtime lately, so I took the easy way out and got him a gift card for Gander. Turns out he had gotten the bug for a 6.5 Creedmore and used my card, plus another he had been given to get a Ruger American at Gander. He is very happy with the Ruger, so it worked out well.

After all the looking at binocs, I ended up making an impulse buy of the Celestron 10 x 25 compacts they had on sale when I went to pick up his gift card. They helped fill out Christmas from my wife. I usually end up buying the things she gives me for Christmas. Anyway, I took them out to the woods hunting today, and am very pleased with them. Much better than any of the binocs I remember using growing up. I got the smaller 10 x 25 as the next size up was a little larger than I wanted to haul around with my other hunting gear. Not sure how much I'll use them, but felt like I needed a pair. They should also be handy at the range to read targets beyond 10 yds.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:12 pm

Thanks for the update. I was wondering how this turned out.

Little bit of a funny story on Binocs. A few years back we bought a pair for our oldest son to use while hunting. My wife liked them so well she wanted a pair "just like them" for her birthday. Well I took her literally, right down to camouflage detail and hunter carry case. Apparently I wasn't supposed to be THAT literal. :lol:

I'm glad you helped make your buddy happy. Sometimes the 'easy way out' turns out for the best.
clovishound wrote:Well, I'll give you an update. I was going to get him the Nikon 10 x 42 compact. They were a little too high everywhere for my budget, but Gander had a 25% off everything on their website sale. I was all set to order them and have them sent to the local store, but they took them off the website. I've been having to work a lot of overtime lately, so I took the easy way out and got him a gift card for Gander. Turns out he had gotten the bug for a 6.5 Creedmore and used my card, plus another he had been given to get a Ruger American at Gander. He is very happy with the Ruger, so it worked out well.

After all the looking at binocs, I ended up making an impulse buy of the Celestron 10 x 25 compacts they had on sale when I went to pick up his gift card. They helped fill out Christmas from my wife. I usually end up buying the things she gives me for Christmas. Anyway, I took them out to the woods hunting today, and am very pleased with them. Much better than any of the binocs I remember using growing up. I got the smaller 10 x 25 as the next size up was a little larger than I wanted to haul around with my other hunting gear. Not sure how much I'll use them, but felt like I needed a pair. They should also be handy at the range to read targets beyond 10 yds.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234