Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gift for a hunter ideas

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Gift for a hunter ideas

Post by clovishound » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:56 am

I'm having increasing trouble finding a suitable gift for my buddy. He and I have been close friends for many years. He's the kind of friend I can call at 3 in the morning and say I'm stuck on the side of the road, and he will roll out of bed and come get me. He used to be my diving buddy, now he is my hunting buddy.

Anyway, looking for ideas. I have thought about a pair of compact binoculars. He currently has a very low end monocular. I was looking at the Celestron 10x42 at Gander. Roof prism, multi coated, sealed and nitrogen filled. A little less than $100.

He usually gets most anything he really wants.

Any ideas, or suggestions on this, or another decent pair of binocs in this price range. I was hoping to find a good Christmas sale on binocs, but the only sales I've seen have either been just a few dollars off, or the really pricey ones.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Gift for a hunter ideas

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:22 pm

does he have a good range finder .. :?: .. a good selection can be seen at the link below .... we use ours for a good deal more than hunting

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... SB6UIP4AAW
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:49 pm

Yep, he's got a rangefinder. If he didn't that would have been top on the list.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:41 pm

what type of hunting :?:

what type of terrain :?:

knife collector :?:

load his own ammo :?:
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:44 pm

Mostly big game hunting in southern pine forests.

Not a knife collector and loads his own ammo, both pistol and rifle.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:32 pm

If he has a favorite/higher-end sidearm, these are always nice to have. Wish I had one:

https://www.orvis.com/p/gokey-kodiak-le ... -case/190n

Or, these are always handy, for any number of things. Got a similar one for my son for Christmas many years ago...

https://www.orvis.com/p/possible-bags/2GE9

Orvis has lots of interesting, unique sporting gifts. Not cheap, but usually very good quality, heirloom type stuff. And, if you dig, a wide range of price-points.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:47 pm

have you considered a gift card for his favorite store .... I know I enjoy getting them
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:45 pm

Get him a Henry. If he already has one (or more), get him another one. I hear you can never have too many Henrys.
clovishound wrote:I'm having increasing trouble finding a suitable gift for my buddy. He and I have been close friends for many years. He's the kind of friend I can call at 3 in the morning and say I'm stuck on the side of the road, and he will roll out of bed and come get me. He used to be my diving buddy, now he is my hunting buddy.

Anyway, looking for ideas. I have thought about a pair of compact binoculars. He currently has a very low end monocular. I was looking at the Celestron 10x42 at Gander. Roof prism, multi coated, sealed and nitrogen filled. A little less than $100.

He usually gets most anything he really wants.

Any ideas, or suggestions on this, or another decent pair of binocs in this price range. I was hoping to find a good Christmas sale on binocs, but the only sales I've seen have either been just a few dollars off, or the really pricey ones.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:25 am

Great idea, but might just bust my budget by a little.
1 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:25 pm

It's been years ago, but I went to a local rental center looking to rent a pair of binoculars.
They had a pair to rent, but I asked them if they would sell and they said yes.
I brought home a really nice set of Bushnell binoculars and I think I gave $35 for them.

Check your local rental center.
Most of them will sell their wares after a few rentals, then they buy another new pair.
You may, or may not find a deal, but it might be better than looking at a pawn shop.
0 x