Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Thanksgiving week harvest

PT7
Drover
United States of America

A Thanksgiving week harvest

Post by PT7 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:54 pm

Up front, this is not my hunting story. Just got home from our family's get-together for Thanksgiving dinner. I knew my son-in-law was out deer hunting this week, so asked him how it went. This is his adventure.

He did harvest a 115-120 lb, 3-year-old doe. He hunts on his own 40-acre property in northern MO. Plans to go out again during the antlerless hunting portion this weekend; two does nicely fill his freezer for 2-3 years, so that is his goal.

It was interesting to learn how he harvested this first doe. He hunted from a ground blind at the northern part of his forty acres. Took two rifles with him; one for shorter range (Henry CCH .45-70), and second for longer distances (Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmore). He harvested the deer with the Ruger bolt-action by doing a head shot (near the ear) at 372 yards. Had a clear shot, and said it was a fairly easy harvest this go-around.

There is a side story also. Before he went hunting this week, he was working with some hired construction workers who were finishing up a 12' X 14' shooting building for his outdoor range. One of the guys looked down the long-distance range, and said -- "What is that?!?" My son-in-law has another visitor other than whitetail deer now living on his property. It is a 5-6 foot long, 200 lb mountain lion. My son-in-law called the MO Dept of Conservation for some help. Since the mountain lion is protected, what could be done? Basically, according to the MDC, it is zip. They will neither trap it or anesthetize it; just have to let it be. They cautioned my son-in-law that all he could do was to defend himself if threatened by the lion, and nothing else. So any time now that he spends on his range, he'll be carrying a sidearm. I wonder if I'll get to see the mountain lion next time I go shooting there? That would be a sight to behold.

Beautiful Thanksgiving weather (62* & sunny), had a good visit with family, enjoyed seeing our one-month old great-grandson again and the dinner was great. It was the first-time ever my granddaughter prepared a turkey. I got to carve it; and it was cooked to perfection. She let the nervousness finally go away after everyone enjoyed the meal!

Trust your day was great. Mine was filled with abundant blessings from God, in many ways.
Enjoy your evening, Henry Folk!

PT7
Last edited by PT7 on Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

~Пока~

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: A Thanksgiving week harvest

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Hunted on a lease for years that had a panther on it. Don't know if it was the same one but hunters kept seeing one the lease. I was on that lease for almost 17 years and never saw it but the others swore that it was true. The lease was between Bedias, Tx. and Crabbs Prarie, Tx. on the Grimes/Walker Co. line.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:54 pm

Wow. I don't know a thing about mountain lions in Missouri. Are they likely "just passing through" or do they tend to settle down and establish a territory? His presence will put some pressure on the deer, that's for sure!

Having shot that Ruger, a 372 yard head shot was probably a piece of cake for him! Nice job, Vic!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:00 am

Yeah, ESquared. You surely know how the Ruger PR shoots when you turned on that steel silhouette light at 400 yards with your hits!! You did some great shooting that range day, too.

Re. your other comments. Actually, I wondered about mountain lions in our state also. So I've checked out our MDC web site, and found this report: https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-natu ... on-reports And on the web page, there is a video link titled "Mountain Lions in Missouri." Interesting to watch.

The thing that I don't know is if MDC has had an opportunity to confirm the mountain lion he reported on his property....I doubt that that has been done. He never said they came to his property, just that he had contacted the department. But if an MDC rep does come out and sees it, or my son-in-law gets a photo, that will add another sighting to one of our northern MO counties!

PT7

ESquared wrote:Wow. I don't know a thing about mountain lions in Missouri. Are they likely "just passing through" or do they tend to settle down and establish a territory? His presence will put some pressure on the deer, that's for sure!

Having shot that Ruger, a 372 yard head shot was probably a piece of cake for him! Nice job, Vic!
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:15 am

Mountain lions have now been reported in most eastern states. The species has a well-deserved rep for traveling great distances and showing up in some unlikely places. When I was living in the Chicago suburbs, back around 2005 or so, a mountain lion was actually reported being seen by many people in one of the local Forest Preserves that snake though this heavily populated urban area. The reason? Most likely the suburban deer population in those county Forest Preserves. Numbers are so high that biologists have a real headache on their hands. In short, anywhere you have a high deer population, you have a chance of attracting a mountain lion. Unfortunately, for this lion, it got a little too bold and started wandering outside the forests and into the suburbs. Was eventually shot by the police.

If you look at case studies for mountain lion attacks on humans, a lot of these attacks are actually committed by young lions who have yet to perfect their deer hunting skills. These also tend to be the wanderers, since they get kicked out of established mountain lion territories once they reach a certain age. Keep in mind, too, that these animals have a huge home range in the first place.
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:32 am

More nomadic than territorial, as I read it. Even though it may have shown itself, it may have moved on by now.

The MDC links don't give much indication of the habits of the species, and it seems like they want to treat them like UFOs, in a way, with lots of "confirmed sightings" language.

That said, the sidearm strategy is a good one...!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:56 am

North Country Gal wrote:Mountain lions have now been reported in most eastern states. The species has a well-deserved rep for traveling great distances and showing up in some unlikely places.
Seven years ago, genetic forensics determined that a young mountain lion wandered 1500 miles from South Dakota to CT, where it was hit by a car and died just 70 miles from New York City.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-moun ... ZE20110727
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:58 am

I’ve had mountain lions in my yard multiple times. I’ve only seen the scat myself, but my neighbor across the road saw it lying in the grass under his trees more than once. We have a very thick grove of cedars on the east side of the property and my wife has heard it “meowing” (more of o deep guttural growl) up in the dense cover. Here kitty kitty...
2 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Sighting reports occasionally make the news, for us only seen scat here.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Great story....mountain lions would make me a bit edgy going into the deer woods before or after daylight...sss comes to mind...
1 x