Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Ozarks Revisited...

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

The Ozarks Revisited...

Post by ESquared » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:31 pm

I guess the quote that sums up this whole saga for me is, “Now let’s just hope the deer show up!”

Long story short: Having been placed in a variety of “great spots” in a broad spectrum of conditions over two weekends, the deer, in fact, just did not show up (especially this weekend).

Saturday (yesterday) afternoon found me at the base of a limestone bluff, up about a 30’ rise from the main logging road, beyond which was a creek, with an open field beyond that. Temps started out in the upper 50s, but, as the sun fell, so did the temps, by about 10 degrees (easily) by the time darkness forced me off the bluff. No deer. Not a rustle. But, compared to last weekend, the weather was nice and the view was spectacular, to which the pics will attest.

All was not completely lost, however: One of our group (of 6-9 guys, depending on the dates and times) bagged a smallish 8-pointer last night, but more on that in a bit.

This morning was the same, but different. Low 30s, from last night’s cold front, and a barely visible drizzle. I decided to go back to Stand #1, deep in the woods, where I’d spotted a doe and young buck on Day #1 last weekend. Hopes were high. Up in the stand well before dawn, like a good little deer hunter. For pics, just look at last week’s “Back to the Ozarks;” same deep-woods views, only wetter.

The drizzle was just light enough not to really see, but you knew it was there every time the wind blew, as it moved all that accumulated drizzle off of the tree branches and what was left of the leaves, resulting in intermittent 15-second-long bouts of “rainfall.” The wind kept shifting, so the “showers” kept coming from all directions, but, alas, the deer were not. Not a peep.

Enough was enough, and, maybe less like a good little deer hunter, I bailed out at what I thought was a bit early, only to re-convene with the others in our group back at camp, ALL of whom had experienced the same outcome. Out in the field before dawn, back in camp by 9:45. Zip. Zero. Nada.

When one considers the deer hunting man-hours that were put in during this season’s outings, it was easily 100-150 hours, and last night’s small buck was all there was to show it, all the way around. Who knows why or why not, but, as noted all along, it was still great fun, especially for this rookie, if for no other reason than it was a lifetime first just to do it, after 6 decades+ roaming this earth.

Well, there’s always Spring Turkey Season (hello, Henry single shot 20 gauge!) and, I’m sure, lots of planning and plotting for next year’s adventures!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: The Ozarks Revisited...

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:48 pm

glad you had a good time and are already looking forward to next season .... I was once told that its the most aptly named sport ===> HUNTING ... that is exactly what you do the vast majority of the time
3 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:52 pm

That is some beautiful country there E^2, if a bit eerie.

Your story about packing it in early reminded me of a story in Field and Stream that I read decades ago. Basically it was about sportsmen, hunters and fishermen, knowing when to call it a day. It could be at a lull in the action or at times maybe you're still slaying them, but there is a time to stop.

Maybe the buffalo hunters of years ago could have learned a little schooling in this regard
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Beautiful woodlands once again, ESquared. Been there, done that...and might even do "hunting only" season again with wabbits this winter. Shall see.

Bottom line, very glad you enjoyed the adventure of your rookie season. I would think it especially fun with good hunters-in-arms like you shared time with. Thanks for taking us along! ;)
1 x

~Пока~

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:12 pm

Sounds like my trips this year too. Lots and lots of hours, but no deer. I was just messaging with my friends who stayed on longer, and wolves moved in to their area on Friday night, and they still haven’t seen any deer.

I respect the whole 4/8 point or better idea, but for guys like you and I who have come (or come back) to hunting in their later years, you should be able to shoot any buck for your first. Once you’ve done the deed for the first time, then you can get picky. Is your season over now? We still have until the 15th of Dec, so I hope to get out for a couple more day hunts.
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:29 pm

Redthies wrote: Is your season over now? We still have until the 15th of Dec, so I hope to get out for a couple more day hunts.
Yes, unfortunately, firearms deer season here in MO is only from Nov 10th - Nov 20th, so my season is done. Keep at it up there, Redthies, and get one for me, too!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:35 pm

Henry88 wrote:That is some beautiful country there E^2, if a bit eerie.

Your story about packing it in early reminded me of a story in Field and Stream that I read decades ago. Basically it was about sportsmen, hunters and fishermen, knowing when to call it a day. It could be at a lull in the action or at times maybe you're still slaying them, but there is a time to stop.

Maybe the buffalo hunters of years ago could have learned a little schooling in this regard
That's interesting, having grown up around here, I never considered the Ozarks eerie, but it's definitely very rugged in spots. In some ways, reminds me of some of the PACNW where I used to live, but with different trees. And different rocks. But similar in that there are lots of both in both places, especially this part of the Ozarks. Lots of cliffs, boulders, rock falls and oaks. Most of the area where I've spent my past two weekends is likely just as it was a couple hundred years ago.
Which is also to say, for me, anyway, it's a great place to visit, but a bit too far off the grid for me. I can appreciate the appeal, but to each his own. Still, beautiful country.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:36 pm

PT7 wrote:Beautiful woodlands once again, ESquared. Been there, done that...and might even do "hunting only" season again with wabbits this winter. Shall see.

Bottom line, very glad you enjoyed the adventure of your rookie season. I would think it especially fun with good hunters-in-arms like you shared time with. Thanks for taking us along! ;)
Thanks, PT! If you want some company hunting wabbits, let me know. I pwomise to be vewy, vewy quiet....
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:38 am

Your firearms deer season is not quite over, ESquared.

The "November Portion" does end tomorrow as you noted. However, the "Antlerless Portion" starts November 30th and ends December 2nd. I always hunted during this "doe season" each year I went out. So there remains one more 3-day weekend. Just check out pages 28-29 of our MDC "2018 Fall Deer & Turkey" regs booklet.

PT7
ESquared wrote:
Redthies wrote: Is your season over now? We still have until the 15th of Dec, so I hope to get out for a couple more day hunts.
Yes, unfortunately, firearms deer season here in MO is only from Nov 10th - Nov 20th, so my season is done. Keep at it up there, Redthies, and get one for me, too!
0 x

~Пока~

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:30 am

Those are incredibly short seasons! In my area, mule deer runs September 10 to December 15th! There are no whitetail near me, but if I do a3-4 hr drivethere is. That season runs September 10 to November 30. Archery gets you the same season, but September 1-9 is bow only. Oct 10-31 for does. That said, it can be REALLY hard to find deer here. There is just so much ground to cover and it is pretty much all dense woods unless you go way north. We have 365,000 sq miles to hunt. It’s almost too much. One pair of islands have so many deer (Sitka black tail) that you are allowed 5 per DAY, and a season total of 15! The only downside is it’s a $750 ferry ride to get there, and two full days drive from where I live to catch the ferry. The season there runs June 1 to February 28!

I’m actually just watching a real estate show set around Asheville NC. It’s really beautiful looking country there too!
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF