Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

3 Bucks, 2 Does Spotted, Zero Shots Fired.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: 3 Bucks, 2 Does Spotted, Zero Shots Fired.

Post by Mags » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:16 pm

Real good write-up. Loved reading it. Can't wait to read part two next week.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Seeing the game is like everyone else has mentioned is part of it. But theres one other factor that hasnt been mentioned. If you had fun thats all that matters. That fun factor is often over looked.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:55 pm

This brings back memories of MANY times more game seen and few to no shots taken - and some under somewhat humorous situations!
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:11 am

BigAl52 wrote:Seeing the game is like everyone else has mentioned is part of it. But theres one other factor that hasnt been mentioned. If you had fun thats all that matters. That fun factor is often over looked.
I was talking to the wife about just that a couple days ago.

This past Thurs. I went hunting before work. (self-employed) :roll:
Any way, that morning I had been watching some does off and on, there is one with 2 little ones, have seen them a couple times the past few days. Then I have this doe come out from my side of the field maybe 60 yds she walks across and is eating on the opposite side.
While she's over there eating a small spike crosses the field he never even acted like he seen her. A little bit later she crosses back and wanders back into the woods about 45 yds. from me. Well it's nearly 9 and I should have already left.
While I'm giving her a few mins to move on so I don't spoke her.
I see the doe with the two little ones down at the far end of the field,

So i'm gathering up some of my gear, something comes flying by the stand not 10, 15 yds. away.
They fly by and land around 100 yds. out. 15 turkeys, I was like that was cool.
The does at the other end just stopped and was checking out, took 'em a few but they finally eased on off.

So I sit back down thinking they will be here few mins. then move on. lol wrong.
They pecked around a few mins. then most of them just settled in and just rested,
All the hens in one group, and all the Gobblers and Jakes 7 of them about 4, or 5 yds. away.
All were laying with one or two watching. Once all the hens jumped up and looked into woods for a minute then lay back down.
They hung out for around 35 mins. before they finally got up and walked off.
Was a cool experience any way.
I did get a couple pics.
This is when they first came in, most are just off to the right, I was trying to get the deer and turkeys in the same shot.
One deer is kinda easy to see one of the others is off to the left about right over the gun site.

Yeah I like watching as much as anything.
Had a neighbor, good friend used to get so mad cause I would tell him about how many I saw.
20181109_093653.jpg
20181109_093655.jpg
RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:31 am

Great story, thanks for sharing.

It was great fun for me and reminded me of my turkey hunts, some ten years ago now, settling down in the woods before dawn, watching it get brighter by the second.
Those hunts, however, were much different in that I NEVER saw a turkey, but only heard lots of them.
This deer hunt made me want to take another stab at the turkeys, though.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:59 am

They are such an amazing bird. Talking to a biologist, up here, and he tells me that when they first released turkeys in our north woods, that it was purely experimental (not a native bird, up here) and a lot of the biologists doubted the turkey could survive our severe winters. Well, they were wrong, of course. Turkeys not only survived our winters, they came though some of our worst winters in better shape than our deer. We see them, now and then, on our property and I see them, frequently in the warm months when bicycling.

By the way, as I write this, we're watching an otter out on the ice on our lake. Another amazing animal.
4 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:35 am

I like otters. Like the water ballet and play they do. We sometimes have river otter in the creek below the back of the house. Not very often though.
North Country Gal wrote:They are such an amazing bird. Talking to a biologist, up here, and he tells me that when they first released turkeys in our north woods, that it was purely experimental (not a native bird, up here) and a lot of the biologists doubted the turkey could survive our severe winters. Well, they were wrong, of course. Turkeys not only survived our winters, they came though some of our worst winters in better shape than our deer. We see them, now and then, on our property and I see them, frequently in the warm months when bicycling.

By the way, as I write this, we're watching an otter out on the ice on our lake. Another amazing animal.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:19 pm

Seems there are more beaver than otters in this part of the heartland, but I imagine there are both.

It's interesting what NCG notes about integrating turkey into WI, and it got me searching "Wild Turkey Harvest by State," and WI is in the top 5 (if not Top 3) in most lists from recent years. Missouri is up and down that list as well, usually Top 5, but I had no idea WI was as thick with them as it seems to be.
Fun birds to hunt, but talk about wiley...at least the Eastern variety we have here.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:34 pm

In the west too. Local beavers are back at it. The wet land meadow with creek in it below back of the house, that I was mowing this summer, is back under water. Mowing: http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ing#p68811
ESquared wrote:Seems there are more beaver than otters in this part of the heartland, but I imagine there are both.
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:09 am

ESquared wrote:
JEBar wrote:I suspect that many (if not most) of the shots you heard were made by hunters who hadn't placed the same restrictions on themselves that your hunting party agreed to ... that's often the way for hunters who are trying to build a heard .... the 6-pointers they let walk are usually taken just a ways down the line
I suspect that your suspicions are correct, JEB! No "Spikes," that's for sure. It will be interesting to see how/if those rules start to bend by next weekend, when/if the current trends continue.
A few of my more experienced friends have a 4 point or better rule ( in the west we only count one antler when counting points so that’s an eastern 8 point). I personally hunt for meat and to feed my family so a “don’t pass up on the first day what you would be thankful for on the last” rule applies. I also think if a buck lives long enough to become a “big” 8 point or better, I’d rather he passed on his smarts and good genetics than an unknown 4 or 6 pointer.

We are in “any buck” season now for white tail. Mules are closed where I’m hunting this week, and in the neighboring MU it’s 4 (8) point or better. At home 5 hours away it’s any buck as well, but the terrain is incredibly difficult, and your lucky to see even does at this point.
2 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF