Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anyone hunt whitetail deer with a cap & ball revolver??

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Anyone hunt whitetail deer with a cap & ball revolver??

Post by ESquared » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Man, that sounds difficult! Congrats to you on some nice hunting and quick reaction times! Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:39 am

Mistered wrote:
A 22 LR can kill a deer , but not a my weapon choice for deer
And most likely not legal ANYWHERE for deer.
I NEVER said 22 LR was legal . I said it can kill a deer but not a good choice for deer . C&B revolver is a poor choice for deer ..... WOULD you use your 1911 45 ACP for deer hunting ...NOT ME .... The 44 C&B has less power then a 1911 in 45 ACP ... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:57 am

but not a good choice for deer
No you said:
but not a my weapon choice for deer
Which denoted some MIGHT be using it for deer (not you of course) and that precipitated my comment about the probable, no doubt illegality of the .22 LR ANYWHERE for deer.
Of course I would never use a 1911 for deer and you are right - a BP revolver, regardless of caliber, is a poor choice for deer no matter what the range.
Just semantics at work here.
0 x

steider
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by steider » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:41 am

I’m old enough to remember my grandfather who was born in the very late 1800’s. On his dairy farm he only owned .22 and single shot shotguns. Never had a problem killing animals. Of course kids these days grow up thinking you need a .30 caliber for everything. But, relality is that for many years cap and ball revolvers has killed lots and lots of deer.
2 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:46 pm

In my state, a muzzle loader pistol must be .44cal or larger, with a single barrel at LEAST 12" long, and NOT firing a saboted round.
I have a replica 1846 Colt Navy revolver in .44cal.
I used it many years ago to dispatch a deer that had been hit by a car.

With the standard black powder load, I watched a .44cal lead ball bounce off of a does skull, merely taking the skin.
That round didn't even think about penetrating the skull.
The next shot went into the chest, and I've never considered using it again for deer hunting.
2 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Mistered wrote:
but not a good choice for deer
No you said:
but not a my weapon choice for deer
Which denoted some MIGHT be using it for deer (not you of course) and that precipitated my comment about the probable, no doubt illegality of the .22 LR ANYWHERE for deer.
Of course I would never use a 1911 for deer and you are right - a BP revolver, regardless of caliber, is a poor choice for deer no matter what the range.
Just semantics at work here.
MS has no caliber restrictions for deer. I don't know anyone who actually uses .22lr for deer, but it's not illegal. :)

From MDWFP:

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/253620/18-2 ... -pages.pdf

Gun:
There are no caliber or magazine capacity restrictions on firearms. Primitive weapons (as defined above) and archery equipment may be
used during gun seasons.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.