Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Deer Camp Preview

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Deer Camp Preview

Post by ESquared » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:29 am

Vichy, MO, is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, so to be headed to "the outskirts of Vichy, MO" should put me in some good deer territory, I'm hoping.

The property is owned by my son's wife's father (or my son's father-in-law, if that's easier), and he's had deer camp gatherings for years.

Am headed there Saturday to get the lay of the land, range-find some distances, and get my head wrapped around what's coming up for the 2nd weekend of November.

Should be fun!
4 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Deer Camp Preview

Post by JEBar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:07 pm

looking forward to your post scouting impressions
0 x

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Deer camp is always fun, the more folks the better. I have been to the farm a few times and prepped a few things. I am looking forward to the second week in November with my buddies.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:58 pm

Beautiful drive from KC to the property, which consists of several hundred acres that straddles the Gasconade River, pretty much due east of the Lake of the Ozarks. Great fall colors – maybe not peak, but darn close.

The pics tell the story, but “heavily wooded” is about all you need to know. The stand they’ve picked out for me is down an old logging road through the woods, where many natural paths criss-cross the main trail.

Stand is affixed to a big tree, about 12 feet up, with a ridge behind and at least a 180-degree view of the surrounding paths and main trail below. Some views from the stand, of the host (on the left) and his brother, as well as my dog, who stayed behind at the cabin/bunkhouse. Leaf-fall will be pretty much done in two weeks when we head back out. Lots of good ol’ Missouri walnuts and other hardwoods.

I may be a rookie, but I know there won’t be anything beyond 100 yards. I think it’s 30-30 time, but I’ll take them all, just in case I end up in another spot later in the weekend. Should be fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:42 pm

those pictures could easily have been taken in our part of the country .... not easy hunting but most certainly has the potential for some really good hunting .... there is most certainly a potential for bullet deflection from small limbs .... nice, really nice indeed
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:30 pm

Very nice pics, ESquared, and it looks like you "scoped" the land out well. The stand standing in the "heavily wooded" will put you at a good spot with a birds-eye view of all those paths. It actually looks similar to the view from HOTR higher tree stand. If you would have climbed into that stand when there, and looked into the ravine, it held a commanding view whenever deer moved across the creek. That was a good location, too.

You know your rifles best, and of course, your choice. I think if it were my first deer hunt with a Henry rifle, and based on watching you shoot all of your rifles, I'd go with your "traditional" deer-hunting round and take the .30-30 caliber. Just me, just my choice. Seems to well suit the hunt. But in your hands, any of your Henrys will work just fine.

Just a couple of weeks away --- enjoy your time down in Vichy!!
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:09 am

I share that suggestion too.
I'd go with your "traditional" deer-hunting round and take the .30-30 caliber.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Yep, for this location, in this stand, it's definitely the 30-30. Focusing this week on choosing the best ammo and fine-tuning the scope.

Shot half a dozen different brands today, all 150 gr and got the absolute best group out of the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip - BUT, it was grouped about 4" low and 2" right vs. where the others landed (relative to their bullseyes). the Win Silvertip as last in the test. Hot barrel? Dunno. Going back in a couple days to dig further.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:36 pm

ESquared wrote:Shot half a dozen different brands today, all 150 gr and got the absolute best group out of the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip - BUT, it was grouped about 4" low and 2" right vs. where the others landed (relative to their bullseyes). the Win Silvertip as last in the test. Hot barrel? Dunno. Going back in a couple days to dig further.
Nothing is wrong.
Different bullet shapes fly differently.
Shoot a soft tip, then a hollow point with everything else being the same they could be on opposite sides of the target
3 x
Pax at Justitia

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:45 pm

Yep, I've run headlong into the downside of sampling 7-8 different factory loads, but I've learned what my rifle seems to like in the process. Am going to zero in on the Win Silvertip 150 gr.
1 x