Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Moose Season start

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Moose Season start

Post by ruhler » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:54 pm

So this year moose season started.
Monday, close to storm but warm weather. My Father shot a moose about 500meters from my spot.
A picture of the view from my spot:
My fathers Moose was driven by a Norwegian elk hound:

Tuesday
One more day of stormy weather in a shooting tower, here is a picture of my spot:
My father shot another moose a calf, but I didnt took any pictures when I went to help him and forgot my phone and I got messy with blood.

Wednesday
Another day but with fine weather, got a young bull moose peeking out his head from the bush and then ran straight away from me, i whistled, yelled but he didnt stop and turned around. Forgot my phone in my car so dont have any pictures of the spot.

Thursday
Another day with fine weather but to much sun, it was hot and hard to see because of the sun. Same shooting tower as Tuesdays hunt.

Friday
back to mondays shooting tower, perfect weather mist, a little colder, no wind and beutiful nature, heard the grouse in the distance.
Then I heard the sound of a moose running towards me, heavy breathing and it was a yearling got about 15meters in front of me (and ofc we only have calves left on the license) so I put down my rifle and used my camera and enjoyed the moment. A really great day and a nice end of a week of hunting.

My brother had a more fun experience 10min after we maxed our licence for bull moose a young bull moose got to his shooting tower, hanged around there for about 5minute within 10meters, taking a bath in the ditch. My brother filmed it, it was hilarious. Its like they know. Anyway tomorrow we are taking care of all meat and share it among all hunters, and then we have calves left on our license so it will be some hunting during weekends to come. Best week this year as always.
3 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Moose Season start

Post by Henry88 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:09 pm

That is some beautiful country
1 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Henry88 wrote:That is some beautiful country
Yeah really love living here, was born and raised here, the country its beutiful.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Have cousins in neighboring Norway, so maybe it's time for visit. That is truly beautiful country. My kind of country, for sure.
0 x

Shawlerbrook
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Shawlerbrook » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:38 pm

You will be eating good ! Moose is delicious!!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:19 pm

beautiful hunting country indeed .... thanks for taking us along
0 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Today we cutted down all meat and shared amongs all hunters, cut out all steaks, beef, collops, tenderloin and cut out all meat and made minced meat of everything that can be used. Started 7 this morning and at 17:00 it was done, then when I got home i packed everything in portionsize bags and sealed with a vacuum sealer and into the freezer beacuse it was so warm week I dont dare to have the meat up to tenderize. We still have calves left on licenses and we will contrinue to hunt during season on the weekend so I will probably update this thread as it moves on.
3 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:00 pm

"collops" -- :? -- had to look that one up and found some different definitions .... more info would be appreciated
0 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:45 pm

JEBar wrote:"collops" -- :? -- had to look that one up and found some different definitions .... more info would be appreciated
Hehe sometimes its hard to translate from Swedish but a common recipe is named "kalops" its a basic meat stew, its boiled for hours with water and flour, salt, pepper, bayleaf, onion and carrots served with potatoes and pickled red beets. So the definition is meat suitable for long cooking stew.
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:47 pm

ruhler wrote:Hehe sometimes its hard to translate from Swedish but a common recipe is named "kalops" its a basic meat stew, its boiled for hours with water and flour, salt, pepper, bayleaf, onion and carrots served with potatoes and pickled red beets. So the definition is meat suitable for long cooking stew.
10-4 .... your definition I understand .... info appreciated
0 x