Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Dad's Polar Bear

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Dad's Polar Bear

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:05 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
GunnyGene wrote: This is my father with the polar bear he bagged on a trip to the Arctic on the USS Burton Island (ice breaker) in 1957. Used 30.06. Took 5 shots while the bear was charging before it dropped a few yards in front of him.
I wonder if he was on a hunting party to re-provision the ship. It looks like a second bear is hanging in the background.

They are great family photographs. Thanks for sharing them with us.

P.S. My wife's paternal lineage traces back to the Smith family that arrived on the Mayflower. I've got her complete family tree.
I seriously doubt it was for provisions. As far as I know this was purely a sporting hunt, although they may have saved the meat for one of the native settlements on their way back to Seattle. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:04 am

Ya, William the Conqueror was a long time ago. So the billions of us are likely related. From my grandmother on my dad's side, while she was still alive, I pieced together from her, her side as far back as the 1830's New Jersey. No inkling further back. She was German decent and my granddad English decent, so there is the William the Conqueror connection. :P
GunnyGene wrote:
Mags wrote:.
... Do you know any of your prior history in England?
GunnyGene wrote:.. back to my many times removed Grandfather who landed on these shores in 1632 from England ...
Not really. The genealogist who put it all together about 25 years ago included what's called a "Pedigree" chart based on marriages, etc. which goes back to William the Conqueror, but the same chart would also fit a couple billion other people alive today. :)
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:06 am

Mags wrote:.
Ya, William the Conqueror was a long time ago. So the billions of us are likely related. From my grandmother on my dad's side, while she was still alive, I pieced together from her, her side as far back as the 1830's New Jersey. No inkling further back. She was German decent and my granddad English decent, so there is the William the Conqueror connection. :P
It's good to be the King. :lol: :lol: ;)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:33 am

Wow awesome stuff! My mom's side of the family is from Weisboden, Germany. My dad's side is from Cocula, Mexico. My dad's side worked on gardens and other landscaping/farm land.
My mom's family makes coo coo clocks, when they came over my great great grandfather worked for the circus, I believe his job was with the tent pitching. I had the honor many years ago to go into the basement he built into his work area. It was clean and organized, he always tinkered and messed with things. I strongly believe that's where I get my tinkering talents from.
0 x
I never take myself seriously....