Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Dad's Polar Bear

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Dad's Polar Bear

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Everyone likes pics, so thought I'd share this one.

This is my father with the polar bear he bagged on a trip to the Arctic on the USS Burton Island (ice breaker) in 1957. Used 30.06. Took 5 shots while the bear was charging before it dropped a few yards in front of him.

2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Dad's Polar Bear

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:15 pm

a truly great piece of family history .... enjoyed the picture and your comments ... thanks for posting it
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:34 pm

JEBar wrote:a truly great piece of family history .... enjoyed the picture and your comments ... thanks for posting it
Here's a pic of the ship from that trip. 5" gun forward, used to break up thick ice if needed. They also carried a couple dog sleds, and a helo on these trips. This was in mid summer in the Bering Sea.

2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:01 pm

Cool photos and a great family story!!
Appreciate the very interesting post.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:27 pm

PT7 wrote:Cool photos and a great family story!!
Appreciate the very interesting post.
PT7
Thanks. You and JEbar both. Boring Sunday. Too hot to go out back and shoot, so I was looking thru the big box of family mementos/history back to my many times removed Grandfather who landed on these shores in 1632 from England and settled in Ipswitch, Mass. to carve out a living. A lot of history between then and now that my line has been part of. But I digress. :roll:
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Love it. The world was a very different place, back then. Thanks for sharing.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:16 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Love it. The world was a very different place, back then. Thanks for sharing.
Indeed it was, and you're very welcome. :)
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:56 pm

That is awesome to know your family history back to the almost beginning of settlement in North America. Do you know any of your prior history in England?
GunnyGene wrote:.. back to my many times removed Grandfather who landed on these shores in 1632 from England and settled in Ipswitch, Mass.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:09 pm

GunnyGene wrote: This is my father with the polar bear he bagged on a trip to the Arctic on the USS Burton Island (ice breaker) in 1957. Used 30.06. Took 5 shots while the bear was charging before it dropped a few yards in front of him.
I wonder if he was on a hunting party to re-provision the ship. It looks like a second bear is hanging in the background.

They are great family photographs. Thanks for sharing them with us.

P.S. My wife's paternal lineage traces back to the Smith family that arrived on the Mayflower. I've got her complete family tree.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:58 pm

Mags wrote:.
That is awesome to know your family history back to the almost beginning of settlement in North America. Do you know any of your prior history in England?
GunnyGene wrote:.. back to my many times removed Grandfather who landed on these shores in 1632 from England and settled in Ipswitch, Mass.
Not really. The genealogist who put it all together about 25 years ago included what's called a "Pedigree" chart based on marriages, etc. which goes back to William the Conqueror, but the same chart would also fit a couple billion other people alive today. :)
0 x