Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Late Summer Scouting For Bucks

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Late Summer Scouting For Bucks

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:46 am

In the late evenings after sundown, I like to get out here on the home place as I'm checking cattle and scout out the deer. Yesterday evening after a heavy rain and cooler temps the deer were on the move and coming out into the fields. Lot of does and fawns. Right before dark the bucks have been showing themselves. Seeing a few decent younger bucks here at home. The big boys not showing themselves much. Wish I had a good camera and knew something about photography, I would post some pics. We have some bottomland pastures about five miles from the home place. I've been seeing a group of 4 bucks that are big mature deer. Two in particular are whoppers. Of course their still in velvet and makes them appear to really be big. Even at several hundred yards I have no problems seeing their antlers even without binoculars. Their patterns will change soon as we get closer to Fall and the acorns start to drop. At least we can get an idea of what's around for hunting season. Lots of fun to get out after supper after a long hot day and watch the deer as it's cooling off. Just one of the things I enjoy about living where we are.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Late Summer Scouting For Bucks

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:52 am

for most of us, preseason scouting drastically improves success in filling tags .... looking forward to your continued reports and hopefully, down the line, the addition of pictures
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:17 am

Thanks JEBar. I may have to take up photography now that I've joined the forum. Really enjoy the pics on your posts and other Folks as well. After seeing Ranch Roper's Cow Country pics , kind of got me wanting a camera! Will keep the scouting reports coming. Hopefully they will bring about a successful season
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:57 am

Yes to scouting for deer season prep, <and>
Yes to getting yourself a camera.

The deer will come back; but the memories in pictures need to be there for both you and family in the years ahead. They are harder to "get back" sometimes as our memories "mis-place" them. ;)

I have a number of great pics of my Dad's homestead (5 acres, planted many fruit trees and maple trees, and he and Mom enjoyed caring for and harvesting their very large garden). He lived there for his 30-year retirement, and it reminded him of the small rural village he lived in when growing up in the former Yugoslavia. He is gone now, and the property is sold. But I still often see it on my computer screen, with a couple of photos on the wall, too. Go for the camera!

And we all on our Forum will benefit from seeing your homestead, too! :D
Ozarkridgerunner wrote:Thanks JEBar. I may have to take up photography now that I've joined the forum. Really enjoy the pics on your posts and other Folks as well. After seeing Ranch Roper's Cow Country pics , kind of got me wanting a camera! Will keep the scouting reports coming. Hopefully they will bring about a successful season
1 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:03 am

Photography can be a money-filled rabbit hole, take it from me, but it's also one of the most fulfilling hobbies out there for folks who like the outdoors and have a creative bent but can't draw a stick figure!
With research, you can zero in on the right equipment for what you want to shoot, so it's worth exploring. For the cost of a so-so Marlin lever action and a sling, you can get into a decent Nikon kit to get started.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Camera-18- ... 3400&psc=1
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:11 am

Speaking of fall, up here the acorns are already starting to fall and I'm seeing other signs that the season is changing. Pretty much theorem, this far north, though.

Good hunting to all, this fall.
3 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:25 am

PT7 wrote:Yes to scouting for deer season prep, <and>
Yes to getting yourself a camera.

The deer will come back; but the memories in pictures need to be there for both you and family in the years ahead. They are harder to "get back" sometimes as our memories "mis-place" them. ;)

I have a number of great pics of my Dad's homestead (5 acres, planted many fruit trees and maple trees, and he and Mom enjoyed caring for and harvesting their very large garden). He lived there for his 30-year retirement, and it reminded him of the small rural village he lived in when growing up in the former Yugoslavia. He is gone now, and the property is sold. But I still often see it on my computer screen, with a couple of photos on the wall, too. Go for the camera!

And we all on our Forum will benefit from seeing your homestead, too! :D
Ozarkridgerunner wrote:Thanks JEBar. I may have to take up photography now that I've joined the forum. Really enjoy the pics on your posts and other Folks as well. After seeing Ranch Roper's Cow Country pics , kind of got me wanting a camera! Will keep the scouting reports coming. Hopefully they will bring about a successful season
Your exactly right PT. We have tons of photos from way back in the family. They really are priceless treasures. We don't take pictures as much nowadays as when our children were little. Need to get back to it.
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:30 am

ESquared wrote:Photography can be a money-filled rabbit hole, take it from me, but it's also one of the most fulfilling hobbies out there for folks who like the outdoors and have a creative bent but can't draw a stick figure!
With research, you can zero in on the right equipment for what you want to shoot, so it's worth exploring. For the cost of a so-so Marlin lever action and a sling, you can get into a decent Nikon kit to get started.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Camera-18- ... 3400&psc=1
Thanks ESquared. I'll have to save up my pennies for a decent camera maybe. Either that or sell one of my lesser favorite so so guns ! Probably better save the pennies cause I don't part with guns to well !!
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:35 am

North Country Gal wrote:Speaking of fall, up here the acorns are already starting to fall and I'm seeing other signs that the season is changing. Pretty much theorem, this far north, though.

Good hunting to all, this fall.
Thanks NCG. I'm ready for the Fall season. Give it a nudge toward the South please !
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:44 am

When I lived in SW Missouri growing up we always had stands near a water tank (pond) in a field that had a growth of old oak about 100 yards to the NE of it. Deer would always follow a trail from the woods to the water usually just after sunrise. Hunting the same land for many years one gets to know the habits of the quarry.
1 x