Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.357 Ammo Recommendation

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: .357 Ammo Recommendation

Post by TNman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Hey PT7, I think you will like the Fed 180g Swift loads. The knife is a Helle Eggen a sort of entry level Helle. I’ve had it for about 15 yr and have field dressed several dozen whitetails with it I reckon. The blade on mine is 3.5” long but the current ones are about 4” long it seems. It has the typical scandinavian edge grind and is made of laminated steel...a very hard central layer sandwiched between SS steel outer layers. It is dangerously sharp and easy to touch up with a good ceramic rod or stone. The handle is generous for a good firm secure grip; I added the diagonal grooves for a better grip in bloody conditions. It will split the sternum of deer readily with a good grip and cutting AWAY from you. Helle makes a lot of different model knives and I give them my highest recommendation for a good working/hunting knife...but use with care. A couple of pics, one of 8 pt buck I killed last Fall showing the Helle in use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:57 pm

Good harvest photos, and I also appreciate the info on your knife, TNman. I've not before heard of Helle knives. Pulled up the home web page and then found your knife there. Looks like some good reading ahead for me. BTW, the current model of yours (as far as I can tell not knowing all the knife configs they offer) has a 4.33" blade with a 3.98" handle according to their specs.

These Helle current specs, plus some of the other knife descriptions, are quite close to the specs I have on the new blade I'm considering. So that has given me a fun project and a segue to posting some info on my potential knife purchase. Here is what I'm going to do.

I'll keep your info from this thread, read up some more on the Helle, then add specs/description of the blade I'd like to get in another thread in our Knife forum. For me, I'll have a good comparison of your Norwegian-made knife, and the hand-forged traditional Siberian Yakut / Evenki knife I may get. Like I said, their builds are similar, and how you've used yours is what I'd like to purpose mine for also. I'm close to pulling the trigger...oops, rather drawing out of the sheath, a new knife for myself! ;) Will let you know when I get this together and ready to post it.

Again, thanks. Your Helle knife looks quite cool, and for the service years it has given you, appears to be a quality blade.
PT7

TNman wrote:Hey PT7, I think you will like the Fed 180g Swift loads. The knife is a Helle Eggen a sort of entry level Helle. I’ve had it for about 15 yr and have field dressed several dozen whitetails with it I reckon. The blade on mine is 3.5” long but the current ones are about 4” long it seems. It has the typical scandinavian edge grind and is made of laminated steel...a very hard central layer sandwiched between SS steel outer layers. It is dangerously sharp and easy to touch up with a good ceramic rod or stone. The handle is generous for a good firm secure grip; I added the diagonal grooves for a better grip in bloody conditions. It will split the sternum of deer readily with a good grip and cutting AWAY from you. Helle makes a lot of different model knives and I give them my highest recommendation for a good working/hunting knife...but use with care. A couple of pics, one of 8 pt buck I killed last Fall showing the Helle in use.
0 x

~Пока~

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:33 pm

PT7... Sounds like a plan....and upon further review my knife is a Folkekniven and not the Eggen. That explains the difference in blade lengths and my knife doesn't have the triple laminated blade. But it still has performed wonderfully over the years. Good luck in your knife search.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 am

Got it, TNman...thanks. Might have some time this afternoon to post some specs about my knife research.

Yup, the Folkekniven descript lists the blade at 3.46", so I'll check this one out. Good-looking knife. I also noticed the blade is made of Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel. That's good material. It reminded me of a thread I posted in our knife forum back in March, 2017 http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... andvik+saw . I "showed off" my new Case Peanut I had just purchased. Then I also described the Sandvik hand saw I have, which had belonged to my Dad. You might find it an interesting read. The Scandinavian-made hand saw is top quality, and also beautifully crafted. Later...PT7
TNman wrote:PT7... Sounds like a plan....and upon further review my knife is a Folkekniven and not the Eggen. That explains the difference in blade lengths and my knife doesn't have the triple laminated blade. But it still has performed wonderfully over the years. Good luck in your knife search.
1 x

~Пока~