Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hunting Hawaii

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Hunting Hawaii

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri May 04, 2018 12:42 pm

A post in another forum brought a story to mind, but I didn't want to hijack another member's thread, so I thought I'd post that thought here.
Back in the mid 80s, I was a member of the Kaneohe Bay Marine Rod and Gun Club and surprisingly there as a lot of hunting to be done. One thing we did was to hunt Feral Goats on Kahoolawe, an island used as a bombing range by the military. There was a Goat Population on the island due to the military and the Hawaiian people sued the government to control the damage being done to the island vegetation by those goats. Hence, hunting the goats on the small island.

It brought to mind a memory of a hunt in Hawaii in the mid 80s when I was a Young Marine Sergeant. Our hunt club would fly to the small outer island and hunt, and we welcomed all military and retired military. One older retired Marine often hunted with the group.

We were hunting up and down the volcanic slopes and the terrain was rough on equipment. Bob was carrying a high end Browning Bolt Action with highly figured presentation grade walnut stock and heavily engraved and gold inlayed action and matching scope rings and scope. I knew that the rifle had to have set him back more than my CAR... I noticed the stock had several deep scratches and gouges and the engraving had mars and dings as well.
kahoolawe landscape.jpg
As we sat on a high ridge line looking for game and taking a water break, I turned to Bob and said:
"I can't believe you would bring that rifle on this type of hunt, it's bound to beat it up even more. He just grinned. "These aren't scars son." He waved his hand over the dings and bruises. These are history, character, they are my memories." ;)

He pointed to a deep groove along the side of the stock. "This... this is a Large Ram in Montana."
A scratch through a gold inlay on the receiver.... "This is a trophy elk up north in Canada."
A gouge in the forearm... "My largest deer to date ... each little bump tells me a story"

He shook his head. "I don't buy guns to sit in a safe and take out and ooh and ahh over. I buy guns to use.
This is a straight shooter and I love the look of it, the feel of it, and it fits me.
I'll hunt it till I can't hunt anymore, then hang it over the fireplace, and I'll take 'er down now and then and take a trip thru my memories as I touch each of the dings." :)

I've never forgotten that lesson. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Hunting Hawaii

Post by JEBar » Fri May 04, 2018 2:13 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:He shook his head. "I don't buy guns to sit in a safe and take out and ooh and ahh over. I buy guns to use.
This is a straight shooter and I love the look of it, the feel of it, and it fits me.
I'll hunt it till I can't hunt anymore, then hang it over the fireplace, and I'll take 'er down now and then and take a trip thru my memories as I touch each of the dings." :)

thanks for the picture and story .... all I can say is AMEN, that reflects my philosophy and I couldn't of said it better .. :D
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Fri May 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Thanks for the philosophy lesson. I have a few of those ding, scratches, and gouges as well. Not on firearms but on me. Memories and stories to tell. Maybe a touch of embellishment depending on whose listening to the story.
4 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri May 04, 2018 6:13 pm

RetiredSeabee wrote:Thanks for the philosophy lesson. I have a few of those ding, scratches, and gouges as well. Not on firearms but on me. Memories and stories to tell. Maybe a touch of embellishment depending on whose listening to the story.
THAT's Hi-larious. :twisted:

After 22 surgeries, I have a few bumps and scratches myself. :lol:
Yup, each one tells a story, and I have gotten good at sharing them. Well, the ones I can show in public. :o ;)
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:00 pm

Stories such as yours, Marine, used to be a staple in life --- for friends and family, too. An especially great place to experience a good story was around a campfire on a chilly evening -- while enjoying mugs of coffee or hot cider, and maybe even some smores.

I think that is partly why our Forum chats can be so cool at times. Lots of good stories, photos, and (yes, RSb) some embellishments may sneak in, too. ;) All-in-all, a very good thing.

Keep 'em coming!! :D
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat May 05, 2018 10:57 am

Another great story, Marine. Loved it. I have to admire your friends take on those scratches and dings. Wish I could take that point of view, but just not me. I have sold off some high grade guns, rather than risk scratching them. I do regret some of those sales, but lesson learned.
0 x