Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

on my way out to hunt some moose

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

on my way out to hunt some moose

Post by ruhler » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:10 am

Sitting here drinking my morningcoffee, on my way out to hunt moose with my father and a couple of others, temperature here is 2degrees Celcius 35degree Fahrenhet (I belive) perhaps freezingtemperature and some snow in the woods. Hunting with a straightpull blaser R8 in caliber 9,3x62 so not even a levergun. :) Clock is 7 in the morning here in Sweden, packed my sandwiches and coffee and ready to go, maybe will update with some pictures when I get home for those who are interested.

This translation may sound redicilous but I have no other way to explain in English. :)
We maybe have some other method of hunting moose in Sweden, we have some loose dogs that search up and bark on moose make them stand still so a hunter can sneak up and shoot the moose. Or if the moose run/move it maybe running past other hunters that are posted in the woods on gametrails and such from a stand or on the ground.

Really looking forward to this day in the woods.
3 x

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: on my way out to hunt some moose

Post by Abnermal » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:39 am

I have heard of deer hunted about the same way in the Southern U.S. Good luck-post pictures if possible!
0 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:13 am

Abnermal wrote:I have heard of deer hunted about the same way in the Southern U.S. Good luck-post pictures if possible!

yep, that is a common method of hunting deer, black bear, and boar in our part of the country
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:27 am

I think it translated just fine. I'm looking forward to hearing how it went.

Good luck on the hunt.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Today it was a good day wonderful clear weather and no wind. I saw three big wood grouse (capercaillie) and heard grouse all day around me. After I left my stand a bullmoose with a dog after ran over where I stood (but its only calfhunt so couldnt have shot anyway). Some reported packs of wolftracks in the snow, probably from yesterday (not great news for dogowners) but they werent around today atleast. It went pretty good we had plenty of moose move around today and a fellow hunter shot one calf we had to drag it out by hand on 5people about a mile without roads through the brush it was exausting both getting there and then to drag it out (and im not in great condition) :) when we have gutted, skinned and deheaded it weight 100kg (200pounds) pretty decent moose calf, We are hunting on 12000hektar its about 30000acres and have totally 12bulls, 12cows and 24calves on license. We have ony calves left on our license that runs out last january we got 13calves left to go.

Some of my view from where I was standing

One of the dogs passing by, the breed of the dog is Jämthund one very popular for moose in Sweden.

Blaser Rifle :)

The moose finally out of the forest and on the truck :)

Finished the evening up with handling/cutting down some sausage (falukorv) made from moose ofc in the freezer, a couple of weeks ago we turned over some meat to a smokehouse/charcuteri to make sausage instead of makeing minced meat and gave me around 40lbs will last me a year and will give some of it away to family :) Going out tomorrow again to hunt some more moose calves.

Well now im finishing this evening off with some single malt Lagavulin 16y, really recommend it if you havent tried it.
Last edited by ruhler on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:02 pm

congrats .... really enjoyed the story and the pictures
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Great story. Congratulations. I hope the hunt tomorrow is as good as the whiskey tonight.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:01 am

Sounds like a great day hunting. I really enjoy getting out in the woods. That is a good thing, since I have yet to put anything in the freezer.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Today we werent so lucky, we had a cow and a calf with one of our dogs on their tail but it ran the other direction from us. But thats what happens while hunting. :) Today it was a cold day around 23degrees fahrenheit, really windy and some snow like nails came down blasting from the side. My father was sitting a mile from me on a open field with no windprotection and when we met at the car he had trouble moving the fingers because of the cold. But its all fine now.

Pictures from where I Stand.

After a few hours my fingers and feet went numb so I lit up som charcoal in a bucket and took some hot coffee and a partly frozen sandwich :) These small things really makes the difference a cold day.

On thursday evening we will butcher the calf we shot yesterday and add to the freezer.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:01 pm

We have the opposite problem here, early in the season. The season opens mid October. Often the first couple of weeks highs are still in the mid 80s F. It's often hot, and we haven't had enough cold weather to knock down the mosquitoes. This year we have been blessed with cooler weather, and the mosquitoes haven't been much of a problem. We did manage to see a "unicorn buck" last weekend. It only had one antler. Not sure how it lost the other one.

Unfortunately, deer populations are down in our area. Feral hogs are more plentiful, but even those are often hard to find without some serious work, unless you have some rural property that no one else can hunt on. I hunt on the local Wildlife Management Areas. These are large areas of wilderness that are set aside for non-development and hunting fees help to manage them. The hunting there is normally not as good as private land, but unless you own rural property, or are good friends with someone who does, it is one of the few options. We normally still hunt. Find a good game trail, and set up a little ways away and wait. And wait. And wait.

Of course, it's like they say, "A bad day hunting is better than a good day at work.".
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya