Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A couple of firsts

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

A couple of firsts

Post by clovishound » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:19 pm

My first hunting trip this year. My first time in a new area. (My buddy and his son got four or five hogs there last year.) First time hunting with the Beast (Mauser in 30-06). My first trip in the woods carrying my Springfield 1911. It's the full sized Range Officer model. Carried it in the OWB paddle holster that came with the gun as a package.

That big 1911 was surprisingly comfortable to carry. Very easily accessible. We sat on a closed fire/logging road/trail and watched nearby crossings. After an hour or so I decided to walk down the trail and look at the small clearing at the end of it. I left the Beast back at my chair and walked down the trail. I was confident that if a hog decided to come across the trail, I could probably handle him with the .45.

Unfortunately, my first hog was not on the list. Lots of signs, no sightings.

Nice day in the woods. Got really noisy about 4:30 or 5:00 in the afternoon. Between the owls and the squirrels it was not the quiet woods experience I'm used to.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: A couple of firsts

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:38 pm

nice day in the woods indeed .... good luck with the rest of the hunt
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Nothing like walking through fallen leaves in the fall.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:42 am

Sir Henry wrote:Nothing like walking through fallen leaves in the fall.
Yeah, but around here the leaves are still green. Next month.

It's not unusual in my neck of the woods, to have a few trips during the early part of the season where we have temps in the mid to upper 80s. Feels like hunting in the summer.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:00 am

Hey, know what you mean about carrying an SA 1911 in the holster they supply with their 1911s. Actually work pretty darn nice. One thing I love about SA is that they don't scrimp on the accessories they package with their guns. Can't say that about most 1911 brands.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:47 pm

My competition 45 was built on a SA gun, and is still deadly accurate all these years later. Good Quality. If I was in the market for another handgun, I wouldn't hesitate to buy SA, they build quality and you are right, they do offer nice packages.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:55 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Hey, know what you mean about carrying an SA 1911 in the holster they supply with their 1911s. Actually work pretty darn nice. One thing I love about SA is that they don't scrimp on the accessories they package with their guns. Can't say that about most 1911 brands.
Well, I would rather have a quality gun and buy my own accessories, but in this case, they don't scrimp on the quality of either the gun itself, or the accessories. My range officer came with a really nice case (rather like a Pelican case), two mags, an OWB holster, and a mag holder. They had a mail in for a free package with 4 mags, and another mag holder and holster. As a real plus my LGS had a fabulous sale on it. $650, and their gunsmith will handle any issues on site for life, or they will handle sending it back to Springfield if need be.
0 x