Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Out in the woods

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Out in the woods

Post by Cofisher » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:27 pm

I went out this morning with my son. We set up a stand in a big cottonwood tree in the woods near the lake. I let Matt do the climbing and installation. He is worried about his old man. I don't blame him.

I am hoping to participate in archery season for the first time. I will be using a borrowed crossbow. This is a first for me. The season runs from September 1 till mid January. We hope to put one deer each month into the freezer.

I also plan on using my Henry 357 for rifle hunting. Will also hope for two or three deer that way.

Anyway you look at it, it's going to be a good year.
3 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Out in the woods

Post by Henry88 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Good Luck, Cofisher, but remember it's easy to wound with a bow but difficult to get a clean kill, so by all means please practice from now till then and good luck again; let us know how it went.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:08 pm

We don't hunt, anymore, but I do miss a good version steak. Sounds like you'll be putting up a lot of meat for the winter. Good hunting.
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks for the good wishes and the advice. I have been hunting for many years and I'm well aware of the difficulties in getting a good clean shot. I will not take a shot that is not a high probability.

For example, my 357 shoots accurately at 100 yards. But I will pass on that one. It seems 75 yards is certainly a good distance for my long shot.

Again, with the crossbow, 40 yards is a reasonable shot. My stand is set up so that I should have 10 to 20 yard shot. I will not take the long one.
2 x

Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:57 am

Cofisher i wish you good luck. I hope you and you son have a very good season. I'm also very envious. I wish I had the chance to hunt deer in country with plenty of opportunities. Here in Az we are only allowed to take one antlered deer per season, no does. The damn things are also very hard to find. The more I think about it the more pissed off I get that I ended up living in a state where hunting deer is only considered a sport and not a means of sustenance. Not that I want to live off venison alone, but the more meat I'm able to hunt the less meat I have to buy at a supermarket. Anyways, have fun this season and be safe.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:22 am

Your deer hunt plans sound great, and glad your son will be right there, too. Those memories will someday be priceless for you both.

This December I'll hunt deer for only my third year, and will go out with my son-in-law on his 20 acres in northern MO. I never have had a harvest yet. And I'll have a tag for our doe season here. On my earlier times out, I've seen several in the distances, but never had any near enough to have the shot. My son-in-law has gathered in many deer since he was a youngster. I'm much newer to hunting and firearms.

I have a .357 Henry, but again decided to hunt with my 20-gauge shotgun using Brenneke KO 3/4oz., 2-3/4" slugs. In fact, I'm heading up north today to do some practice rounds. My son-in-law has his own shooting range. I have my distance limit, as well. I hope to hunt/shoot at around 40 yards from a raised deer blind (50 max, which is the long shot I probably won't take). The blind overlooks a ravine behind it that is almost 25 yards distance, and the fields in front of the blind are quite open and very long.

Another first here also for the crossbow. This year my son-in-law plans to use his new crossbow to hunt. I've not seen him shoot that yet, and I'll look forward to seeing how that all goes. We're planning a long day together on his range in early September, so I hope he'll bring out his crossbow then! ;)

Again, your plans sound great, Cofisher. Trust you'll both have a great time, store up those memories, and fill those freezers!! Enjoy.

Cofisher wrote:Thanks for the good wishes and the advice. I have been hunting for many years and I'm well aware of the difficulties in getting a good clean shot. I will not take a shot that is not a high probability.

For example, my 357 shoots accurately at 100 yards. But I will pass on that one. It seems 75 yards is certainly a good distance for my long shot.

Again, with the crossbow, 40 yards is a reasonable shot. My stand is set up so that I should have 10 to 20 yard shot. I will not take the long one.
2 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:41 am

looking forward to hearing your range results for your 20 at 40 yards .... it should do just fine ....
0 x

Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:49 pm

I'm also looking forward to reading about your experience. Sounds like it'll be an amazing time.
1 x

Dennis H
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Dennis H » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:57 am

Tie yourself in cofisher! Happy hunting! Can't wait for the pics!
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:24 am

Lol, yep! My son absolutely will not allow me to go without a harness. And, I have to respect that. Looking forward to a good season.
0 x