Tell us about your Henry Rifle

45-70 for Oklahoma hogs

User avatar
Dennis H
Cowhand
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:12 pm
United States of America

Re: 45-70 for Oklahoma hogs

Postby Dennis H » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Rchunter26 wrote:
Dennis H wrote:Yer federal fusion will be fine. If yer gun likes it don't change it.

The gun doesn't seem to mind the ammo. Depending on where you look, they say that the 300gr soft tip won't perform the best on a hog. Just wanting to ensure that what I bring does the job.



Shoulder roasts are my favorite cut of hog. Get em broadside and shoot em thru the ribs behind the shoulder in front of the bacon! Have fun!
0 x

User avatar
BigAl52
Deputy Marshal
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:43 pm
Location: Evans,Colorado
United States of America

Re: 45-70 for Oklahoma hogs

Postby BigAl52 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:46 pm

Some guys dont like them but Hornady Lever evolution ammo shoots real good in my 45-70's 325 grain. I know they will put one down without any trouble. Al
0 x
Young guys should hang out with old guys cause old guys know something

User avatar
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
Posts: 5980
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: central NC
United States of America

Re: 45-70 for Oklahoma hogs

Postby JEBar » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:06 pm

BigAl52 wrote:Some guys dont like them but Hornady Lever evolution ammo shoots real good in my 45-70's 325 grain. I know they will put one down without any trouble. Al


of that I have no doubt .... my dislike stems from reloading our ammo and Hornady Lever Revolution cases being shorter than standard size .... they make a good bullet but its not close to my favorite .... if I was only going to fire factory ammo, I'd consider using them
0 x

User avatar
BigAl52
Deputy Marshal
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:43 pm
Location: Evans,Colorado
United States of America

Re: 45-70 for Oklahoma hogs

Postby BigAl52 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:39 pm

I can understand the saving the brass for reloading. They can be reloaded but you would need to cull them out of your regular 45-70 brass and reload them seperate. If you were just using them for cowboy loads or reduced power loads they would work for that.
0 x
Young guys should hang out with old guys cause old guys know something

User avatar
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
Posts: 5980
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: central NC
United States of America

Re: 45-70 for Oklahoma hogs

Postby JEBar » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:54 pm

I've been told that the issue is the crimp ring on standard bullets doesn't like up to the depth the bullet should be seated .... I want standard components that all fit together as they should
0 x

User avatar
BigAl52
Deputy Marshal
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:43 pm
Location: Evans,Colorado
United States of America

Re: 45-70 for Oklahoma hogs

Postby BigAl52 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:27 pm

Well Maybe so but it would just produce a shorter overhaul length. Some would say here the bullet jump would be excessive and it very well could make a fire ring in the chamber. I dont think I would use them anyway I would just kick them aside. But like you mentioned if I wasnt going to reload I would consider them as they do shoot well with there factory loaded round. They are fast and have a great range on them for a heavy bullet
0 x
Young guys should hang out with old guys cause old guys know something

User avatar
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
Posts: 4920
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: King County, Washington State
United States of America

Re: 45-70 for Oklahoma hogs

Postby Sir Henry » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:51 am

Take lots of pictures of the hunt. I don't know much about a 45-70 but enjoy picture stories.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

User avatar
Rchunter26
Tenderfoot
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: 45-70 for Oklahoma hogs

Postby Rchunter26 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:36 pm

Sir Henry wrote:Take lots of pictures of the hunt. I don't know much about a 45-70 but enjoy picture stories.

O, there will be pictures.. And I think you might know more than you're letting on...lol
0 x

User avatar
Rchunter26
Tenderfoot
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: 45-70 for Oklahoma hogs

Postby Rchunter26 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:37 pm

JEBar wrote:
BigAl52 wrote:Some guys dont like them but Hornady Lever evolution ammo shoots real good in my 45-70's 325 grain. I know they will put one down without any trouble. Al


of that I have no doubt .... my dislike stems from reloading our ammo and Hornady Lever Revolution cases being shorter than standard size .... they make a good bullet but its not close to my favorite .... if I was only going to fire factory ammo, I'd consider using them


It's my understanding that most of the disliked fit them comes from people not liking how they cycle in the Henry's..
0 x

User avatar
Dennis H
Cowhand
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:12 pm
United States of America

Re: 45-70 for Oklahoma hogs

Postby Dennis H » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:49 pm

Rchunter26 wrote:
JEBar wrote:
BigAl52 wrote:Some guys dont like them but Hornady Lever evolution ammo shoots real good in my 45-70's 325 grain. I know they will put one down without any trouble. Al


of that I have no doubt .... my dislike stems from reloading our ammo and Hornady Lever Revolution cases being shorter than standard size .... they make a good bullet but its not close to my favorite .... if I was only going to fire factory ammo, I'd consider using them


It's my understanding that most of the disliked fit them comes from people not liking how they cycle in the Henry's..



Rc I've been shooting them out of a marlin guide gun, they cycle fine. I've probably killed a dozen or so elk with them. The issue I have with them is their construction. I take broadside shots hitting only rib bone on occasion. I don't find very big pieces of the bullet when field dressing. The biggest piece is usually the copper jacket. All dead elk of coarse I just wish they held together a bit better.
0 x