bdbrown66
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Maximum Range

Post by bdbrown66 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:53 am

Dennis H wrote:
PT7 wrote:Anyone have thoughts on hunting at this distance? --> 1376 yards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIn1G8BeUuc

IMO this is one of the things wrong with hunting today. I didn't watch the video but I've seen a bunch of em. It isn't hunting, it's just shooting. I've seen a few where they wing em a time or two tryin to "walk it in" before they finally kill em then high five each other like they accomplished somethin. Then they think it's a good idea to post it for the world to see. We've had plenty of wars goin on the past 15yrs if they wanted to play sniper all they had to do was step forward.
Well said. I agree 100%.
0 x

JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JNG3 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:47 am

Archery big game = 35 yard max. Although I've taken two long shots and both were successful. 45 yards on a nice buck and 50 yards on a coyote.

Rimfire small game = 50 yards max. Although I will stretch the range on fox and coyote with my .22WMR to 100 yards

Shotshell wingshooting = 50/60 yards max

Shotgun slugs big game = 100ish yards max

Varmint with centerfire = 300 yards max

Big game with .308Win = 300 yards max

Big game with muzzleloader = 100ish yards max

Big game with .357Mag pistol = 50 yards max

Big game with .357Mag carbine = 100ish yards max
1 x

JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JNG3 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:54 am

I should also add that just because you can hit the target at some extended distance, that does not mean the projectile has the needed momentum/energy/velocity to do the job. Also I've rarely seen 'hunting days' that are as nice as 'range days'. Meaning enviromental conditions can and will play havoc with the bullet on it's way to the quarry. Most folks would be amazed at how wind, temperature, elevation, and other factors can conspire to send the bullet off course even if YOU did everything perfect at the moment of the shot. Also it's called hunting, not sniping. Learn to be a better hunter and you won't need to shoot a .338 Lapua 850 yards to kill a mule deer.
3 x