Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Maximum Range

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Maximum Range

Post by JEBar » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:02 pm

in another thread I have chronicled purchasing and learning to use a range finder ..http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2218 .. I freely admit that one thing that has been proven is I am not a good judge of distances and the further the distance, the worse I am at estimating the distance .... from sitting outside of our camper talking with folks who stop by, I've learned that I'm not alone in that regard .... basically, I've come to believe that most folks don't really have a handle on just how far 100, 200, or more yards really is .... one of questions I often ask myself is, would I take that shot ? .... the answer may well change before and after finding out just how far away the distance really is ....

Question : given what you consider to be perfect conditions and your favorite firearm, what is the longest range you would be comfortable taking a shot at deer size game ?

2nd Question : just how sure are you of your ability to accurately determine if the deer in your sights is within that range ?
1 x

Dennis H
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Maximum Range

Post by Dennis H » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:37 pm

I killed a doe antelope at 500yds. She was limping or I wouldn't have taken the shot. Couldn't tell you what the hold over was but it was plenty. Remington 7mm with factory core lokts. Heart shot, three steps and flop. It was all luck. Killed my best muleys at 411 but I had practiced at that range and felt confident. Still sent a spoiler over his back, luckily he gave me a second chance and made the necessary adjustment. He reared and fell. Remember em both like it was yesterday.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:02 pm

that's really fine shooting .... to me 400 - 500 yards is very impressive .... the Remington 7mm is a fine, flat shooting cartridge .... I've never hunted with one but have loaded hundreds of rounds for a friend who does
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:46 pm

Several research studies have shown that we humans are poor at estimating distances much past 20 or 30 yards. We're just not wired for it. Experience helps, of course, but if I was heading out into open country to hunt, again, I'd darn sure carry a good LRF. :)
3 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:58 am

I learned in boot camp that the average "Joe" can be taught to hit a man size target at 500 yards, with open sights, and do this repeatedly.
Is it easy? Not really, but can be done with confidence if one practices enough at those distances.

You can help yourself to better judge distances by stepping/measuring off several distances in a known surrounding, such as your back yard/neighborhood.

Measure the distance to your neighbors driveway at the end of the block...
If possible, set up a deer target at these distances.
Even if you can't shoot, you can dry-fire practice.
Studying the known distances long enough will carry over into the field.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:03 pm

I don't currently shoot at a "long" range. Our range is only 100 yards. Going by the old "paper plate rule,"* I'm confident that I could hunt deer at 100 yards with any of my lever guns, both scopes and not scoped. I would have to practice awhile at longer distances before I could go out much more than 100.

*If you can hit a paper plate sized target every time, you can ethically shoot at game out to that distance.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Anyone have thoughts on hunting at this distance? --> 1376 yards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIn1G8BeUuc
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:17 pm

looking at the safety, it looked like a Remington .... I wonder what caliber .... our Remington 700 BDL chambered in 300 WBY mag is fully capable of delivering killing shots at those ranges .... that is not to say I'd be comfortable pulling the trigger
0 x

Dennis H
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Dennis H » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:26 pm

PT7 wrote:Anyone have thoughts on hunting at this distance? --> 1376 yards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIn1G8BeUuc

IMO this is one of the things wrong with hunting today. I didn't watch the video but I've seen a bunch of em. It isn't hunting, it's just shooting. I've seen a few where they wing em a time or two tryin to "walk it in" before they finally kill em then high five each other like they accomplished somethin. Then they think it's a good idea to post it for the world to see. We've had plenty of wars goin on the past 15yrs if they wanted to play sniper all they had to do was step forward.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:24 pm

I don't hunt but I'm confident I could hit a deer size target consistently up to 100 yds.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully