Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy .357 and Florida pigs

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Big Boy .357 and Florida pigs

Post by Bugs » Mon May 22, 2017 6:42 am

Nice job. Looks like you had a good time. We have them rooting around in our back yard for acorns at night.
0 x

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Mon May 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Dennis H wrote:
JNG3 wrote:Great shot and good job! The only issue with hardcast bullets is a lack of expansion and little to no shock value. However hardcast bullets GENERALLY out penetrate jacketed soft points/hollow points by a large margin.

JNG3's comment got me wonderin, was your shot a pass thru? If not, were you able to recover the bullet?
No, it was not a pass-through. And no, I didn't recover the bullet. I wish I would've thought of that, but excitement had the better of me at the time.
1 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Mon May 22, 2017 4:51 pm

JEBar wrote:
ditchparrot wrote:Many thanks for the recommendations I got here about the Buffalo Bore loads. I've still got 19 of those, and I hope to get the chance to squeeze off another one before too long.
just curious, in your practice firing the Buffalo Bore loads prior to the hunt that you mentioned earlier I'd appreciate your assessment of the muzzle blast, recoil, muzzle jump, point of aim and about anything else you may have noticed/experienced .... contrast with 158 grain bullets would be appreciated
There's a huge difference in recoil and everything going at the muzzle compared to the 158-grains, but it's not like it's overwhelming or anything. Just very noticeable.

No adjustments were needed on point of aim.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon May 22, 2017 5:35 pm

ditchparrot wrote:No adjustments were needed on point of aim.

remarkable ..... info appreciated .... must admit I'm a bit surprised and am delighted to hear
0 x

JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JNG3 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:27 pm

That surprises me. Normally hardcast bullets (Lyman #2 alloy or similar) pass through game of that size. But hey, you did your job and the bullet did it's job and you were rewarded with some wonderful meat!
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Appreciate your taking us on this hunt with you, ditchparrot. You had the right Henry in the H006M, the right Buffalo Bore ammo, and the perfect aim & POI @ 50 yards! Congrats on your excellent harvest and great experience.

If you didn't have to ship your harvest from FL to CA, one of the most tasty ways to prepare pig is to roast it whole over an open pit. Even thought you won't prep it that way, I'm sure you'll get some grill work going on select portions. I had the most enjoyable large family gatherings growing up when my Dad dug a pit in the back yard, and roasted a pig using the electric motor from his grill to turn it on the spit all day while cooking. I got to help keep the coals going strong, and positioned evenly. From time-to-time after cooking a while, it was most fun to snag a piece of skin and check out how we were doing "in the kitchen." The taste of a pig cooked that way is superb!

I did an internet search and there are a lot of videos and articles on how to roast an entire pig. Here is one article I liked; nothing extra special, but has simple and helpful instructions. Thought you might like to glance at it. Again, great job on your hunt. Enjoy the many yums coming your way! :)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/how- ... -spit.html

ditchparrot wrote:Just got back yesterday. Man, what a great experience!

It's going to cost me a fortune to have the meat from this ol' hog transported to me in California, but I don't really care. I have to complete the cycle on this deal and have its hams, back straps, loins, chops, etc. grace my table on numerous occasions over the next several months.

Pig_smaller.JPG
0 x

~Пока~

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Mon May 22, 2017 11:36 pm

PT7 wrote:Appreciate your taking us on this hunt with you, ditchparrot. You had the right Henry in the H006M, the right Buffalo Bore ammo, and the perfect aim & POI @ 50 yards! Congrats on your excellent harvest and great experience.

If you didn't have to ship your harvest from FL to CA, one of the most tasty ways to prepare pig is to roast it whole over an open pit. Even thought you won't prep it that way, I'm sure you'll get some grill work going on select portions. I had the most enjoyable large family gatherings growing up when my Dad dug a pit in the back yard, and roasted a pig using the electric motor from his grill to turn it on the spit all day while cooking. I got to help keep the coals going strong, and positioned evenly. From time-to-time after cooking a while, it was most fun to snag a piece of skin and check out how we were doing "in the kitchen." The taste of a pig cooked that way is superb!

I did an internet search and there are a lot of videos and articles on how to roast an entire pig. Here is one article I liked; nothing extra special, but has simple and helpful instructions. Thought you might like to glance at it. Again, great job on your hunt. Enjoy the many yums coming your way! :)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/how- ... -spit.html

ditchparrot wrote:Just got back yesterday. Man, what a great experience!

It's going to cost me a fortune to have the meat from this ol' hog transported to me in California, but I don't really care. I have to complete the cycle on this deal and have its hams, back straps, loins, chops, etc. grace my table on numerous occasions over the next several months.

Pig_smaller.JPG
Thanks for posting that link, PT. The guy makes it sound like a pretty simple (albeit time-consuming) process. I'd sure like to try it sometime – hopefully under the tutelage of someone already experienced in that arena.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Mon May 22, 2017 11:38 pm

JEBar wrote:
ditchparrot wrote:No adjustments were needed on point of aim.

remarkable ..... info appreciated .... must admit I'm a bit surprised and am delighted to hear
I should add that I did all of my practice shooting from 50 yards. I'd imagine POA could be different as you got out close to 100 yards or so. I've got 19 rounds left, so maybe I'll dedicate a few to that purpose.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon May 22, 2017 11:42 pm

we have reloaded all of our 357 hunting and practice ammo since the '70's .... our loads are built around Nosler's 158 gr JHP, they have served us well .... I'd love to find some 180's to work with
0 x