Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shotgun for deer and hogs

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Shotgun for deer and hogs

Post by clovishound » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:19 pm

I'm interested in hunting an area locally that is on military owned land. One of the rules is shotgun only.

I have a 20 gauge over under. I was thinking I could try some slugs through it. From the research online, I take it the skeet chokes I have should be good. I also have a pair of IC.

Would a 20 gauge rifled slug work well for this, or should I buy/borrow a 12? I don't really want to spend the bucks on a 12 bore just for this. All this assumes I can hit something with a rifled slug through this thing. I'm a little leery of using buck shot for this purpose unless I step up to the larger caliber.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Shotgun for deer and hogs

Post by JEBar » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:25 pm

agree with being skeptical about 20 ga buckshot for big game .... I'd test your 20 and see how it handles slugs .... my biggest concern would be its effective range
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:41 pm

clovishound,

Since I have a 20-gauge, I wouldn't hesitate using it for deer hunting. A friend of mine told me his grandson harvested a whitetail a couple of years ago with a 20-gauge. JEBar is correct, though, that effective range is a factor. The same is true for a 12-gauge slug, although the range is farther out.

Here is an informative article about shotgun slugs: http://chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

Scroll down to the paragraph heading "Brenneke, Buckhammer, and Trophy Slug." I have in my 20-gauge stock the Brenneke KO Slug 3/4oz.(2-1/4"), and that is what I would use for deer hunting. I'd be comfortable with these using my Benelli 20-ga smoothbore out to 50-75 yards. Also, here is the Brenneke home page: http://www.brennekeusa.com/ And also this is the home page for the Brenneke s/g shells from the international-based company, Rottweil. https://rws-munition.de/en.html There's a lot of good info here, too.

I don't know anything about Buckhammer, but the article states it is good slug ammo.

Finally, I had similar questions when I moved from a 12-gauge to a 20-gauge s/g. One forum chat I found interesting contained these two responses, which I agree with --- especially the advice on "practice and practice." Both are posted on Graybeard Outdoors from a 2011 discussion:
As a general rule, I was always told effective range is "how far can YOU put all shots on a paper plate or smaller EVERYTIME". From a smooth bore I would say you will be limited to 75 yards maybe less. I normally do not have to shoot more than 50 yards. If I had to shoot a bit farther, I would chance it. I have been using the same gun for a hair short of 20 years.

In short, study up on the slugs see what energy it has at how far out. Then practice and practice. Modern day slug rifled barrels, with the correct slug and shooter 125 to 150 yards are not unheard of.
That's right on the head :) Each gun, load and shooter have different limitations and the only way to find out is practice. After you find the slug that works best in you gun off the bench, shoot at the plate from field positions and you will really see the limitations of the hunter and their weapon.
Have fun deciding...let us know what you finally do.
clovishound wrote:I'm interested in hunting an area locally that is on military owned land. One of the rules is shotgun only.

I have a 20 gauge over under. I was thinking I could try some slugs through it. From the research online, I take it the skeet chokes I have should be good. I also have a pair of IC.

Would a 20 gauge rifled slug work well for this, or should I buy/borrow a 12? I don't really want to spend the bucks on a 12 bore just for this. All this assumes I can hit something with a rifled slug through this thing. I'm a little leery of using buck shot for this purpose unless I step up to the larger caliber.
Last edited by PT7 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

~Пока~

starrider
Tenderfoot

Post by starrider » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:45 pm

I killed my first deer with a 44 magnum this past weekend, a 44 slug is only a few grains more than a 20 gauge shotgun. The 20 gauge is a larger in diameter projectile and will inflict a lot of damage. Keep the range close and I don't think you will have any trouble with your shotgun.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:26 am

I would put the most open choke you have in the barrels. When I get time to hunt, I usually use a Remington 870 in 20 gauge. I use the Brenneke slugs. They are good out to 75 to 100 yards. Buckshot can be effective, if allowed, in the 25 yard range. Plenty of deer are taken with 20 gauge.

Good luck.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:24 am

Carlson .... http://www.choketube.com/ .... offers a wide range of excellent choke tubes .... among them are ones specifically designed for slugs .... I've used them for years and can highly recommend them
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:39 am

clovishound,

Have one other option that you might consider. Along with Dave's suggestion to use your "most open choke," you could also get an extended 20ga.-rifled choke tube to shoot slugs. I got one at Carlson's Choke Tubes, LLC for my Benelli 20-ga to use when deer hunting. Mine is a Beretta Benelli Mobil; you can see it on the Carlson's web site at http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-pro ... Tubes&mf=3 The one I got is listed near the bottom of this web page.

I have F, M, and IC chokes, which came with my s/g. Buying an extended choke specifically to shoot slugs was a very inexpensive way to go for me. This choke does a great job with slugs. BTW, I believe I recall that when I chatted with a Carlson's rep on the phone about it, he told me you can shoot Sabot slugs also using this choke. I mainly use the rifled slugs as they are less expensive and will do the job just fine.

Again as I said in my first note, I wouldn't hesitate to use a 20-ga with slugs for deer hunting. You'll find it will do a good job for this harvest.
0 x

~Пока~

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:44 pm

Well, I went to the range today and tried a couple of rifled slugs. I was surprised at how accurate it was at 25 yds. That is the max at the indoor range. I would feel comfortable making shots double or triple that distance.

Recoil was impressive. Can't imagine a slug from a 12 bore.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:05 pm

clovishound wrote:Recoil was impressive. Can't imagine a slug from a 12 bore.
the hardest kicking long gun I've ever owned was an 6 lb Ithaca Model 37 Deer Slayer firing a 12 ga slug .... it was extremely accurate to something over 100 yards but its recoil was truly punishing .... looking back, I still really like that shotgun but came to hate firing it
0 x

starrider
Tenderfoot

Post by starrider » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:14 am

My shotgun that I've used all these years is a Sears H&R Model 66 with no recoil pad. It is a heavy semi auto shotgun and I believe its older than I am. My Dad owned it as long as I can remember and he gave it to me in 1990. It gets your attention when you shoot it, but has been my deer killing weapon for over 20 years until this year when I used my Henry BB 44 magnum.
0 x