Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shotgun for deer and hogs

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Shotgun for deer and hogs

Post by daytime dave » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:52 pm

The most recoil I had from a 12 gauge so far was from a 3" slug in my Mossberg 500. It let you know you just shot a gun.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Slugnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Slugnut » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:22 pm

With right slugs and good shot placement, the 20ga. is more than enough gun out to 75 yds. with a smooth bore. With a rifled barreled 20ga. you can bump that up to 100 + plus yds. I've done it here on LI, NY were I live. The 20ga. is all I use. Knock on wood, 1 shot-1 kill , all my deer. Good luck. Hope that helps.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:13 pm

Guys remember the hide, scull and bone structure of a hog is tougher than that of a deer.

I'm no expert, but on any hog forum they'll tell you that with hogs it's all about shot placement.

So here's my suggestion. Leave the bird gun home, get a Henry single shot 45-70, go after the biggest hog in the swamp, and nobody will ever question your manhood again :D

PS North Country Gal please pardon the low brow humor :P
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:20 pm

Henry88 wrote:Guys remember the hide, scull and bone structure of a hog is tougher than that of a deer.

I'm no expert, but on any hog forum they'll tell you that with hogs it's all about shot placement.

So here's my suggestion. Leave the bird gun home, get a Henry single shot 45-70, go after the biggest hog in the swamp, and nobody will ever question your manhood again :D

PS North Country Gal please pardon the low brow humor :P
Well, I now am the proud owner of a Mauser chambered in 30-06. That would be more than enough firepower for the hogs around here. The issue is the place I would like to try hunting requires shotgun only. IF it were not for that I would gladly use the Mauser, or even my .357 Henry for hog hunting.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Dennis H
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Dennis H » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:56 pm

The first 20 or so whiteys I shot would agree, the 20 gauge is enough gun. And a hog wouldn't be any different. With your smooth bore you'd probably have better luck with the foster style slugs than the sabots. Good luck!
1 x