Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

First deer with my Big Boy

starrider
Tenderfoot

First deer with my Big Boy

Post by starrider » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:01 pm

I've had my big boy for 6 years, I took it out opening morning the first year I got it and it was a comedy of errors. I had practiced a little so I was keeping all of my shots within 20 yards that day. I proceeded to shoot over two deer, had a squirrel climb into my tree and come right up to me and sniff me and a bird landed on the barrel of my rifle. I was so disgusted I went back to my house had a couple of cups of coffee then headed back out to my stand. I didn't have a sling so I made one out of rope, I made it back up into my stand and settled in I hear a noise and look back and down there is a 10 pointer looking up the tree at me, we stare at each other for what seemed like an eternity and then he bounces out about 15 yards and turns around to look at me. While he was bounding out I raise my rifle only to realize that I had left the rope on my rifle and I couldn't see the front sight. I gave up on the day, came out a few days later and bagged a nice 8 point using my 12 gauge. The Henry went into the closet. The next 5 years I used my 12 gauge and left the Henry in the closet until this fall. I ruptured a disc in my neck and was laid up after surgery for a few months, I didn't have much to do so I ordered a scope put it on my Henry and started drilling bulls eyes out to 70 yards. Here is the buck I shot this weekend 200lb 8 point. He ran 50 yards after a complete pass through including his heart. Only draw back he didn't bleed much, but I was able to watch him fall from my stand.
deer one.jpg
dder two.jpg
You can also see my redneck ATV in the back ground of the second picture, my John Deere lawn mower. By the way my first post and my name is John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: First deer with my Big Boy

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:48 pm

nicely done .... what caliber Henry were you using ? .... what ammo ?
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:06 pm

Very cool hunting pictures. Congrats on harvesting your buck.
And thanks for sharing the "comedy of errors, too!

Welcome to the Henry Forums from the Show-Me-State.
Enjoyed your intro post!
2 x

~Пока~

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:58 pm

Welcome from Western Montana!

I second the one question. What caliber rifle were you using?

Congrats on getting a nice deer too.

Thank you for sharing.

Cate
1 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:07 pm

Good introduction. We have all had those days. My favorite was the bird on the barrel. Welcome to the forum!
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:28 pm

Welcome aboard, happy that the Henry came out of the safe.
Sorry to hear about your neck. I had disc replacement about eight years ago. Not something I ever want to go through again.
Nice looking Deer, what time is dinner?
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:32 pm

The animals will respect the Henry now!

Welcome to the forum. Congrats.
1 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:22 am

Congratulations, that is a nice deer and appears to have a nice high rack!
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

starrider
Tenderfoot

Post by starrider » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:01 am

Thank you, as to the caliber it's a 44 Magnum, I use the Winchester 240 grain jacketed soft point. Relatively cheap and luckily for me shoots pretty good out of my rifle. I like that there was a lot less damage to the meat, but I'm afraid in heavy brush it would have been quite chore to find him with the lack of blood trail. I'm happy with my rifle though, and it will be heading to the woods again with me.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:41 am

starrider wrote:Thank you, as to the caliber it's a 44 Magnum, I use the Winchester 240 grain jacketed soft point. Relatively cheap and luckily for me shoots pretty good out of my rifle. I like that there was a lot less damage to the meat, but I'm afraid in heavy brush it would have been quite chore to find him with the lack of blood trail. I'm happy with my rifle though, and it will be heading to the woods again with me.
just as an FYI, we've used 44 Mag revolvers for deer for well over 30 years .... we hand load our ammo using Nosler 240 grain Jacketed Hollow Points and finding a blood trail is seldom an issue .... it might be worth doing some experimenting to see if you can find a hollow point that you like .... congrats again on taking that buck
1 x