Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What are you using?

FormerParatrooper
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: What are you using?

Post by FormerParatrooper » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:29 am

My first deer was with my father's bring back SKS. When I moved to Illinois rifles were not allowed so used a Stevens 94C 12 gauge break open. That shotgun took several deer, turkeys and squirrels. I spent $40 on that shotgun and it served well for many years. I sold it to a youngster who needed something cheap and reliable. The lgs had one for $120, he got mine for $40.

Illinois opened to straight wall cartridges this year so I now use my Henry .357.

When I started hunting it was blue jeans, milsurp wool shirt, and now it is Thinsulate coveralls, electric socks, and a heated vest. I hate the cold since I was frostbitten at too much below zero training.

On the property I hunt is an electrical post near where I set the blind, I am seriously considering bringing my heating pad next year. I love to hunt, even if I don't get a deer, but I seriously dislike being cold for too long.
4 x
I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace - Thomas Paine

US Army, 1983-2004.

H012 GMR

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:09 am

"An electrical pole near where I set my blind." How convenient, man I like the way you think. ;) :lol:

I do have one of the little buddy heaters, those are handy, like you, I like deer hunting.
Getting cold Not so much. :roll:

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:36 pm

I use electric socks and I "upgraded" from electric gloves to electric mittens. So far, so good.
A ground blind and a heater will be coming in the next few years I'll bet.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:43 pm

I don't hunt large game, though some of the big nutria might almost qualify as large game ;)
This time of year I'm wearing flannel lined jeans and wool shirts.
3 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:17 pm

Stray Cat wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:47 pm
A week ago, I finally had an opportunity to harvest my first deer with my H010 .45-70 It may not be the largest deer or a Boone & Crocket wall hanger but it was a special moment for my brother Rick and myself. Due to some medical challenges over the past year, just being in my treestand watching nature happen was a reward in of itself. Having this guy pursuing a doe presented an opportunity to top off the freezer and give me and the Henry a chance to prove we were capable.

It was a close shot, maybe 40 yards; I use Hornady LEVERevolution 325FTX cartridges. It was one and done, he ran 40 yards and piled up on top of the ridge making field dressing and recovery easy. My brother's Polaris 4 wheeler and deer sled made it a whiz getting it back to deer camp.
Very nice! And I can totally relate about just how being out is often it's own reward. Fishing is like that too.
And a special congrats on getting it done with the Henry!
0 x