Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Brass in the Woods

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Brass in the Woods

Post by JayZuv » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 pm

Hello my fellow Henryholics, perhaps I am crazy for doing so, perhaps not. I fully intend on taking my Henry Big Boy's out this year for deer season. Is that something that any of you do? or do you stick to steel for the woods. If you do take your brass Henry's out, are there any things you do to help guard them from the elements?
0 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Brass in the Woods

Post by Mags » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:41 pm

My everyday care is Renaissance Wax on the brass and wood and light wipe of gun oil on the barrel and mag tube. If it gets damp while hunting I just wipe it down with a cotton cloth. Then the Henry goes into a hard case at the end of the day if camping. When I get home I clean and wax and leave it out for couple days to dry out in case there is still moisture in it somewhere.

Other thoughts. The reflection off shiny brass might spook the deer. My Henry came with a black toeless sock over the brass receiver. You get one shot with the sock on as the sock covers the eject port. Packing a heavy octagon barreled rifle all day for me is tiring. I now use a sling.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:51 pm

are there any things you do to help guard them from the elements?
Yea - let the brass start naturally transitioning to 'patina' and not worry about it!
Seriously I hate guns ! (well not really) but I hate buying them new (especially something as beautiful as a BBB) and I pizz and whine about how I come back from shooting and see a new scratch or scuff on the brass.
I shoot a lot - nearly every weekend and actually USE my guns and I never let my rifles ride butt on the floor and against the front seat or uncased on the back seat but they will normally get carefully leaned against a tree with the butt carefully on the ground while I am shooting others.
Don't get me wrong I am NOT OCD but I try to keep them as nice as possible but inevitably if you are going to USE them they are going to get some 'character marks' over time - and I accept this.
One of the reasons I like older, 'classic' guns and buy them more because they mostly have all the 'character' on them already so it's not so bad!
Heck My 1899 Winchester while is fair shape is certainly nothing I will ever notice a few dings and scratches on as it already has 118 years of it already!
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:06 am

I don't like patina, even though I know it's only a matter of time, I like my Henry brass shiny. So I sock it when hunting. Yes stuff happens, so like MisterEd I don't overly stress out over new character additions. A Henry in brass is a beautiful firearm that I can shoot. Use brings character and memories to go with it.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:14 am

Looks hideous, but back in the day, I often did a camo tape job on guns I used for hunting, covering the whole gun with camo tape. Protected the stock against scratches, too. Just be sure to use a camo tape that does not leave a residue. Coating the gun with a good paste wax before applying the tape, helps. After the season was over, off came the tape.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:48 am

Best paste wax for Brass, Renaissance Wax. Completely benign ingredients. Car waxes, carnauba, beeswax, etc eventually dull (patina) the brass.
Look into a fast remove rifle sleeve/cover or gun jacket. Inexpensive. Range $15-$40 or so.
0 x

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JayZuv » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Thanks for everyone’s input. I am not one to worry about every little Mark or scratch, and understand that those are things that come with using guns often and exposing them to the elements, just wondered what your preventative measures were. Lots of good ideas, and I’m thinking between the renaissance wax and a rifle sleeve my rifles should survive the hunting season just fine.
0 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Don't worry about the brass. Go ahead, try to find my rifle in the photo...

:?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
9 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:41 pm

I will admit however when do tear my Henry down for cleaning and internal polish I WILL polish the brass back to new appearance! - and a stock refinish will most likely take place also.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:48 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Don't worry about the brass. Go ahead, try to find my rifle in the photo... :?
Not seeing it. Is it behind the tree?
2 x