Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hunters safety

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Hunters safety

Post by Greyhawk » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:02 pm

Well, I'm old enough to have never had to take a hunters safety course in order to purchase hunting licenses in Minnesota. Although I have never taken the course I have worked with my 4 kids and have helped them get their certifications. Well now it's my turn. In Minnesota, kids (and sometimes adults) take their hunters safety on-line and then go to a field day in order to prove their knowledge. I am going to be more and more involved in helping/teaching with the Hunter's Field Days and I thought that I should probably take the online course and get my own hunters safety certification before I try and help others get theirs! As an adult I can take a 'virtual' field day on-line, instead of going to the 'real' field day.... It will be interesting to see what that is like! :D
4 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Hunters safety

Post by GFK » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:35 pm

The online course that I took offered a baseline for basic gun safety and hunting. I found it informative. I had not been hunting previously. But, I have had some experience with firearms safety and certifications. The field test included, identifying parts of a long gun, selection of ammo, basic handling of a long gun when hunting with others, what is a clean shot or not (props were used), and live firing of a shotgun at water jugs. Enough though it covered the fundamentals, a person should practice more before going into the field. Here, most hunting is done on public lands. So, you will probably be in the field with people you have never seen before. However, I would recommend the course for everyone. But, that is me. I think that I can always learn something new.
Last edited by GFK on Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:16 pm

Kudos GH, go for it.
GFK, good for you as well. Safety should be an involuntary skill!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:09 am

Hunters are often far from any medical assistants so a good hunting safety course is certainly a very good idea, even for us old timers that never had to go through one. Good for you GH.
1 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:17 am

Old enough here also, that I've never been required to take it.
Been shooting and hunting all my adult life.
I do know that if you want to hunt in some other states,
it doesn't matter how old you are you must take the course.

RP
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:00 am

My first "hunting" course was when I was 18. It was 6 weeks long and conducted at Camp Pendleton, CA in 1963. Besides the M1, it included the following firearms and techniques, and every day was a field day with many short (3-10 mile) hikes and camp outs. ;)

1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:12 am

Gunny, that's one type of hunting that is not enjoyable. But, it is what it is.

Then again, the first Marine that I did shore patrol with told me that was why he joined the Marines, "To shoot people legally." I replied, "You know that they shoot back?"
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:59 am

GFK wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:12 am

Then again, the first Marine that I did shore patrol with told me that was why he joined the Marines, "To shoot people legally." I replied, "You know that they shoot back?"
That's not entirely true. Only some of them shoot back. ;)
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:21 am

Due to my age and the laws “back then” I have never taken a Hunter Safety course but I attended one with my son. This was back in the late 90’s sometime and is was one of the best weeks of my life. The course took place at a local farm and the presentation was incredible. It was around 3-4 hours per night for five consecutive nights. Since it was at a farm the field shooting part of the course took place daily. The course was geared more to shotgun hunting and the attendees were required to bring 100 shot shells. They shot at launched clay birds and on the last day a local dog handler brought this dogs and live pigeons which were released with the dogs present. I do have to brag a little as my son was the only kid to hit a live pigeon.

The course included walking with guns in the field, crossing fences and entering and exiting a Jeep. It also covered shotguns, rifles, handguns and black powder. The kids had the opportunity to shoot every type of firearm. Also covered was ammo and reloading. Every night ended with discussion around a campfire. Incredible!

Good for you who dedicate time to teaching the next generation of hunters and thank you!!!
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:32 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:59 am
GFK wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:12 am

That's not entirely true. Only some of them shoot back. ;)
Yes. But, all it takes is one.
0 x